Wednesday 6 July 2011

29/6/2011: The Horus Heresy

Having played Brother against Brother a couple of times now, Dave and I decided to give the Heresy Unheralded mission ago. It's remarkably similar except that you deploy (largley) according to your own devices and use all 5 Traitor Primarchs rather than just 3. There was some confusion about this which I think cost me; because we didn't know that the Primarchs were supposed to be deployed with the entire Traitor force, I allowed Dave to bring them on via drop pod. I doubt it made much difference to the end result, but it's not an experience I'd like to repeat if I'm perfectly honest...

I was playing the Imperial side and set up the board largely how it is in Brother against Brother, to tell you the truth, except that I switched around Sanguinius and Rogal Dorn, and their appropriate Space Marines. Dave deployed a lot of Space Marines with his Primarchs at the expense of anything else apart from the obligatory Chaos Warband. I had a feeling that this would cost him in combat, as many of the card effects are conditional on having the corresponding unit involved with the combat. There's no point using a Daemon effect if you haven't got any Daemons, for example.
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...

Well, Dave won once again by Spaceport victory. Largely due to the appearance of more Primarchs than I was expecting. I think a re-match is on the cards, but I do wonder, as we'll be swapping sides again, what approach to take and where to deploy the Primarchs. Thinking about it, Mortarion's ability is best suited to defence so it might be worth keeping him on the Vengeful Spirit. Fulgrim's effect is nice but as it basically gives you a free corruption draw, it will only really help you against Imperial Army or Tank unit. All well and good but better suited to mopping up the outer areas than attacking the palace itself, where very few such units exists. Magnus the Red may be a bit more powerful because hiseffect gives you a free orbital bombardment so that might soften up the enemy, but it is only really Mortarion that effects the enemy unit in such a way that they will find the battle itself more difficult than they may otherwise find it. Angron's ability is very good but can be countered with the right number of shields and cards, as he discovered when he tried to take on Rogal Dorn. Put simply, wherever Dorn is, write off his and a few surrounding areas.

Not got a good win/lose record with this yet, looking to improve on it next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment