Friday 25 November 2011

14/11/2011: War of the Ring

Sometimes, when you're playing games, things just don't work out. There'll be something going along in the game that will generally mean I haven't got a hope of winning and I'm knackered from the start. Ususally when this happens this is something to do with my opponent - power gaming does not sit will with me at all - but one could hardly accuse this weeks opponent of that; Lewis is a great kid and plays well. No, the problem this time was the scenario...

So to clarify, because it's been a long time since I played War of the Ring, I was using Harad and Lewis was using Isenguard. I've got a balanced but fairly low-powered force, and Lewis has got one of those armies that were built up gradually over a period of collecting. So was mine, as it happens. Which usually makes for quite a fair fight. But this time we rolled up Maelstrom for deployment, and we were playing Objectives. It was the deployment that got me. The fact that some of your army will turn up in any one of 4 table edges, if at all, scuppers even the best-laid plans and all you can do is hope for the best. I put my guys down where I thought they would be the most effective, but due to where most of Lewis' men ended up, the only character I have that is in the slightest bit effective - The Betrayer - was miles away from anywhere.

In retrospect, deploying The Betrayer with Haradrim Warriors was one of my worst ideas in playing WotR, since the Betrayer's effect will only really work at a distance if you put him with bows. The actual game itself was in essence a step-by-step guide in splattering my army, there's not much point talking you through it but everything I did, everywhere my troops went, the forces of Isenguard had something more nasty waiting for them. Hell, Lewis didn't even cast any spells with Saruman! He wiped most of my forces clean off the table and won two objectives to my one, winning the game quite comfortably.

Not one of my better games, really. I need to put myself in a better mindset for playing games in the shop; I can't really stop to think about things and that does cost me.

Until next time. I actually think I'm clear on the blogging front for about 12 hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment