Monday 16 October 2017

Last Week's Games: ZombiU and Greyhawk


Because of my usual problems with time allowance, this blog will be more of a review of ZombiU. I started it last week and, continuing on this week, I’m finding it tough to play – sadly not for the right reasons.
I’ve been spoiled over the last ten years or so by Autosave, where I expect a game to save itself every so often so that I don’t have to do the last half an hour again if I lose during the game. ZombiU works differently to this. When your survivor dies, you carry on from the same point in the progress of the game with a different survivor; functionally identical but a different person. The problem is that the game doesn’t save when this happens. To save the game you have to sleep in the safe house. I didn’t know this, and lost all the progress I’d made on Monday through forgetting to save the game.
A cricket bat. Could it be more British? Good for conserving
 ammo but it takes a lot of hits to drop a Zombie...
“No problem,” thought I, “I wasn’t doing very well, let’s start again.” I got to the point early on in the game where you have to go to the supermarket and hack the security camera junction boxes. I died a number of times – usually as I’d managed to traverse to a different area. When I’d finally finished what I was supposed to be doing, I headed back to the safe house, to find that the game had glitched and hadn’t registered that I’d made it to the supermarket. This was a requirement to end the mission, and because it hadn’t registered, the game would never progress beyond that point. I could have started again, but I was tired and went to bed instead.
The game itself plays OK. The handling’s a bit off but I’m choosing to believe that it better represents the relative skill of the ‘everyman’ survivors you’re controlling. The best – and simultaneously the worst – bits are where there were more zombies in the area than you were expecting, or you trigger a trap, and you have to make a quick blind decision as to where to go next. You can barely see, you’re panicking and the chances that you’ll get it right are slim indeed. You’ll probably die at these points, and it can feel quite cheap. On the other hand if I was caught up in a Zombie Apocalypse that’s probably what would happen to me!
The WiiU game pad works better in some situations than others. It’s good for inventory management; touch screens are ideal for those situations. I also liked it’s utilisation for things like opening sewer drains, or setting and removing barricades; that’s representative of at least some of the physical effort required by your character to do those things. It reminded me of Resident Evil: Deadly Silence for the Nintendo DS, essentially the first Resident Evil game that included some added bits of touch screen functionality.
Less welcome are those times where you have to use it to aim the heavy machine gun near the safe house; you have to aim in first person using the gyro and the screen on the pad. Those guns should be a challenge to use. But you hold the pad flat to play the game, and hold it up to your face in order to aim on the screen with the full range of movement. The trouble is if the aiming begins while your pad’s still flat, you’ll hold it up and will be looking straight at the floor. Even though I later found that you could use the right analogue stick to correct this, it disrupts the flow of the game!
ZombiU’s OK, but that’s all. I might not through to the end before moving on!
I expect Simeon looks a bit like this...
At the Roleplaying group we’ve changed games for this rotation; we’re continuing a Dungeons and Dragons: Greyhawk campaign started a while back. It’s not a deliberately funny setting, but I’m playing a half-elf fighter called Simeon D’sai who has a Wisdom score of 6 with a -2 modifier. This has created very fun situations where my character is easily fooled, both in the adventure and my colleagues who take advantage of it! It’s been fun so far, and it should continue to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment