Monday 20 November 2017

Last Week's Games: 8-Bit Armies and Assassin's Creed.


Doing this blog has opened a lot of doors for me in terms of the games I’ve been playing over the last couple of months. Most games require days, weeks or even a couple of months of my time to complete – and that’s if I play it for roughly a few hours a day whenever I can spare that time – and I have to keep my blog interesting by playing a mix of games during the week. I actually managed to beat Assassin’s Creed earlier today and had to put some time in to that to make it happen, but if that had been all I’d done all week I’d end up replacing the title of “Last Week’s Games” to “Last Week’s Blog.” Against anything I would consider my better judgement, people do actually read this; roughly 100 or so people a week depending on how many games I played. While they’re probably not all retained readers, I think I owe it to the few people who do read what I have to say week in week out to not repeat myself all the time. And it’s not like I haven’t got a tonne of games I haven’t played… 
Does this look 8-bit to you? Thought not.

To this end I found myself alone with my laptop for a few hours and played a game I downloaded quite recently: 8-Bit Armies. This is an isometric Real-Time Strategy game that purports to have 8-bit graphics, although that’s more to do with the design aesthetic because anybody who’s ever played an 8-bit game would know they don’t look even remotely this polished. I was aware of it because TotalBiscuit did some coverage on it a while ago; at the time he said something along the lines of while the mechanics of the game were solid enough, it was difficult to recommend because out of the proposed six factions, there were only two in the game at that point and they functioned more or less identically. I was reluctant to buy it straight away for that reason, but when it came up in a Steam sale a few weeks ago, I bought it and its two sequels, which is where I expect the four remaining factions ended up: 8-Bit Hordes (medieval combat) and 8-Bit Invaders (Sci-fi combat.)
I really enjoyed playing it for the relatively short amount of time I had. It controls well, and I’m mature enough now to know when the game is teaching me its mechanics of its various component parts as we progress – letting me see the purpose and function of the lower-tech units before letting me loose with the big stuff. So far it hasn’t challenge me in any massive way, but there’s a certain amount of satisfaction in executing a plan. An early mission has you destroying the enemy’s motor pools in each of the three bases in the area, and it was good fun to send my armoured cars in their first to scout the area, establish where the traps are and plan the best attack route before attacking with a horde of rocket launchers and infantry. This isn’t a set piece; the game doesn’t hold your hand. You have to work that out for yourself, and it’s all the better for that. It’s not perfect; with an isometric viewpoint some of the things in the game are blocked from view and there’s no way to rotate the map that I’ve found yet. But it’s a solid game and I’m looking forward to coming back to it.
Lots of people to save. Kind of contradicts
the point of an assassin, honestly...
And, I beat Assassin’s Creed. I’m not going to say too much about that as it’s going to get its own blog in the next few days, but I will say this: I might play the other games in the series at some point, and with each effort to innovate, the original Assassin’s Creed has become more obsolete to the point where many people now find it unplayable. I know I have an almost-obsessive compulsion to play all the games in order and that rarely does me many favours, but in this case, I’m glad I had the chance to be the game that forms the core experience of Assassin’s Creed –before all the innovations came in.

No comments:

Post a Comment