Monday 4 December 2017

Last Week's Games: Sacred Citadel, Super Mario Bros


We’re in to one of the busiest times of the year for me; I’m a music teacher and the end of any term is always fraught with many more things I need to do in addition to whatever foetid standards pass for normal. That combined with the significant changes in my personal and musical life over the last few years means that once again, I’ve not found much time to play many games. Life gets in the way! But, also, life finds a way, as shown to us by the Jurassic Park franchise. And amongst the many, many videos I watched of other people talking about video games, I did indeed manage to play one or two of them.

I thought I had another picture for this...
I continued with my game of Sacred: Citadel, managing to get past the part I was stuck on that was halfway through the second act. I’m progressing through the game at a steady pace, and I’m still enjoying it. But I have to wonder what in the world I’m supposed to be doing about the score challenges. If you’re issued a score challenge, you need to get through the level you’re set having scored 6,666 points. Considering that I don’t think I’ve ever done that even when I’m not doing a challenge, and that I can’t find a way to increase your score other than boost your combat multipliers, I find myself wondering how I’m supposed to do it. Am I supposed to pick a less-damaging weapon so that I can increase my number of attacks? I’m aware that there are probably videos on Youtube that would answer my questions, but I haven’t looked for any yet. The game’s enjoyable enough and I’ll probably keep playing it when I’ve got an hour to spare, but if I find myself with more time in the weekend (I might, you never know!) I might try a heavier game.
That was it until yesterday morning when I decided on a whim to put my WiiU on and have a go at Super Mario Bros. I downloaded the original NES version of the game not long after I bought the system, and I play it every now and. It’s a game that I hardly need to introduce; it’s one of the finest platforming games ever designed. It’s balanced, fun and challenging in all the right places. While other games in the series were more fleshed-out, with different themes being applied to different worlds and demonstrably better with the introduction of new mechanics, the core of what Super Mario is started with this game. I focus on collecting as many coins as possible to get extra lives – a standard mechanic of the time – and I tend to get up to the seventh world before they run out.
Apparently those blocks are supposed to be
the people of the Mushroom Kingdom that
Bowser and the Koopas changed into blocks
with magic. Let that horror sink in.
I’ve actually beaten the game before, ages ago, when I had it on the Super Nintendo as part of the Mario All-Stars compilation, but there was a crucial difference in that version of the game: you could save your progress. You could start from any of the previously-visited worlds and you didn’t have to do the entire game in one sitting. That, I’m pretty sure, is why I haven’t beaten this version it yet – after the time it takes me to get to the sixth or seventh world, I start to lose concentration, and make costly mistakes.
And yes, I know that the structure of the WiiU allows you to save game states and you therefore don’t have to get through the entire game in one sitting on this console either. I don’t mind doing that on Castlevania, which is a ferociously difficult game due to its design, or Mega Man X that is a large game that I wouldn’t expect to be able to beat in one go. With Super Mario Bros, it’s a short enough game that I think I ought to be able to get through the whole thing in one sitting, and the challenges it presents aren’t unfair; I die due to my own mistakes that I should be able to correct if I keep trying. That’s the level at which Super Mario Bros challenges me, and that’s how I am aiming to beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment