Monday 15 January 2018

Last Week's Games: Far Cry 2, Golden Axe Warrior, Zombie Dice, Hey! That's My Fish, Forbidden Island


This week I’ve been whittling away at Far Cry 2 whenever I get the chance. I’m making slow and steady progress through the game itself, although I did manage to unlock the achievement for unlocking all of the weapons. Part of my mission for the next few times I play will be to buy them all, as well as the manuals, upgrades and ammo packs!
This is where you start...
It wasn’t going to be long before the Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection found its way back in to my disc drive, and my new game for this month was Golden Axe Warrior. This is one of the unlockable games, and was previously released on the Sega Master System. It’s a top-down roleplaying game, where you play as a warrior wanting to avenge the death of his parents and destroy the evil giant Death Adder. This being an earlier iteration of an RPG, there’s very little customisation or choice of path; you need to find nine crystals in various dungeons, and the game doesn’t appear too fussy about what order you do them in, but that’s about it. It’s all about the game, wandering around the world, killing enemies, looting money off them and occasionally finding items to improve your damage or armour. There’s a weird shielding mechanic in there as well, where if you’re hit just in the right place your shield will block the shot, but I can’t use it in any dependable way yet.
I actually enjoyed the game for the hour or so that I played it, and defeated the first dungeon. It’s hardly a great-looking game after all this time, and comparisons to the Legend of Zelda are obvious and not entirely welcome (of course Sega were going to try something similar when it realised how successful these kind of games could be!) but it’s good fun and a nice way to play a bare-bones RPG without having to worry about assigning points or morality. However, this style of game was very much in its infancy at that point, and some of the systems were underdeveloped. Not having the manual to it caused me some problems, as did the option to use quest items instead of handing them in. I got a quest from an injured dwarf to bring him the Golden Apple, which is said to heal any wound. I knew perfectly well that this was true, because I’d picked up the apple and, not quite realising what it did, used it about half an hour prior to that. At that point I gave up. I’m not saying I’ll never come back to it but I didn’t want to have to play through the first hour or so of the game to correct it. Maybe another time!
Mind those red dice...
I also played some games around Kirsty’s house again the other night! We played Zombie Dice; a push-your-luck style game in which you play as a Zombie chasing survivors for their brains. You roll three dice, keep the brains, keep the shotgun blasts, and re-roll the feet of the survivors who escape. The aim of the game is to get the most brains, and the game finishes once somebody gets to 13. However, if you take three or more shotguns, you lose all the brains you collected that turn. The mechanic is risk and reward, which sometimes comes off and sometimes doesn’t; Kirsty won that one.
She also beat me at Hey, That’s My Fish, but it was a close game this time and we enjoy playing it a lot!
Finally we had a go at Forbidden Island, a game that preceded Pandemic, and when you start playing that it’s easy to see the familiar mechanics and tense races against time. You play as explorers who go to the titular Forbidden Island to look for the mythical treasure said to be hidden there. Each character has different abilities that will help, but you have limited resources, and only a short amount of time to look before the island floods and you lose. We beat the game in the end through a combination of luck and teamwork, and there’s talk of me using this game in the future as a training tool for communication!

No comments:

Post a Comment