Monday 19 February 2018

Last Week's Games: New Super Mario Bros, Mordheim: City of the Damned, 911 Operator


Since I’ve been trying to play a new game every week this year, I tend to play the new game for the week on Mondays. I found that while I was playing through Far Cry 2, I was so heavily invested in that game it became difficult to justify playing a new one for its own sake. So these days I give myself some time to play a new game on one of my days off, so that my obligation is out of the way and I’ve got time to do whatever I want later in the week, whether it’s playing the new game if it’s engaged me enough, or continue with whatever game I was trying to beat before. I haven’t been so invested in a long-form game since Far Cry 2, I enjoyed Theme Hospital of course but most of that had been done roughly a year before.
I'm enjoying the shell power up.
So my new game for this week was New Super Mario Bros for the Nintendo DS, as this is a great pick-up-and-play game. It’s always interesting to experience the new gameplay mechanics that run across the different Super Mario games – new for me anyway, as up until Super Mario 3D World, I hadn’t play a Super Mario game for any significant amount of time since Super Mario World for the SNES. I had a lot of fun with the Blue Shell, even when I accidentally used it and ran in to something that killed me. The giant mushroom is fun as well, though I suspect that as you can destroy Warp Pipes with them, you’re closing off secret areas that could contain the giant coins you’re supposed to be picking up. I’ve not got very far in the game yet, but the point of my DS is that I can play it for a little while when it’s convenient for me to play a handheld system, so I’m not expecting to make rapid progress through this one. It’s there when I need it!
I did mine in Red, funnily enough...
I also had a go at one of my favourite games: Mordheim: City of the Damned. I downloaded it for my laptop a few years ago and, after a bit of faffing around with the graphics card, found the strategy experience hugely enjoyable. I’ve definitely put more hours in to this than any other PC game I own! Unfortunately the game is a little buggy, and some game-breaking bugs coupled with an ironman saving system has meant that I haven’t beaten it yet. I might do this time though. I’ve started a Possessed warband called The Red Death; we’ll see how it pans out.
Assigning units, taking calls... the life of a 911 Operator!
As you’ll see from the Pickups and Trades blog I’m putting out on the last Wednesday of every month I’ve gone a little mad with downloading games off Steam, and with the school holidays on at the moment, I thought I’d take the little more time that afforded me to play one or two of them. I started with 911 Operator. This was a game I think I heard about over the releases section of the Co-Optional Podcast, and I’m enjoying games that are doing things a little bit differently. From what I heard, I was expecting an L.A. Noire style negotiating style of gameplay as you desperately tried to sort out what was wrong before it was too late. That’s in there, certainly, but a lot of it is an “assign your units” point and click strategy game. You assign police, fire fighters and paramedics to various vehicles with different strengths and weaknesses, and purchase equipment for them. You then go into deployment mode, where you assign those units to various emergencies that crop up over the cities in the game.
I’m in Miami at the moment, and brilliantly there’s a team of veteran cops in a sports car apparently referencing Miami Vice, an 80s cop show I’ve never actually seen. They can usually get to an emergency quicker than any squad car, but you need to assign another car to the emergency if they need to take any criminals in. It’s a great game so far and I’m enjoying playing it, I’m looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment