Wednesday 6 June 2018

Pickups and Trades #5


I’ve been very short on money this month, so I haven’t bought as many games as usual. That can only be a good thing!
On Steam, I bought the following games:
The Risen trilogy. I know, I know, it’s not very good, but it was on sale, and the first one purports to have some flashes of brilliance in it so I bought it as a pack.
Stronghold Crusader Extreme HD: A Real Time Strategy game with Castles instead of bases. Sign me up!
Sword of the Stars Complete Collection: It looks like a space combat game plus its expansions, I haven’t played one of these that wasn’t a Star Wars game in a while so this will be interesting.
Can you figure out this interface?
From GOG, I bought Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat. This is a game that I don’t know if I ever officially owned, (more likely borrowed off someone and never gave it back) but I probably still have the CD-ROM lying around somewhere. It’s based on the Warhammer Fantasy universe, and I enjoyed it hugely when I used to play it nearly two decades ago. I actually have it on the PlayStation, but it doesn’t work very well on there. The user interface was never particularly good, and without a mouse or any form of analogue controls, it’s a nightmare to try to run. I’ll never get the CD-ROM version to run on my laptop in a million years (from what I remember, you needed to be in 256 colour mode. Remember that? I’ll tell you what doesn’t remember that: Windows 8.1,) so I bought a digital version. I gave it a test run, as some GOG users were experiencing problems with it, but it seems to be running just fine and I had a great time getting stuck in to it again!
While my financial situation is unlikely to have improved by the time next month’s blog goes out, I had saved up some money and bought some games at the UK Games Expo at the beginning of June, so I’m looking forward to telling you all about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment