Thursday 12 September 2019

Last Week's Games: Fallout 4, Putty Squad and Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion


I spent most of last week playing games that, for me at least, were new…
Fallout 4 had been talked up by the various pundits I follow on YouTube, and I’ve always enjoyed the Fallout games to a certain extent though I’ve only seen one of them through to the end (Fallout 3, if you want to know,) so I bought it last year and have just got around to playing it! I’m enjoying it so far, the settlements bring something new to the series and I also like how the VATs system doesn’t stop the game completely, forcing you to make snap decisions as to where to call your shots. The plot is interesting, starting before the nuclear war and showing a time where everything was all sweetness and light, though it gets dark very quickly. I don’t know that I’ll be able to suspend my disbelief that, on a quest to find your son, you quickly get side-tracked in to doing quests for Non-Player Characters, but heading straight to the place I was told he was resulted in me getting killed as it was too high-level for my character, forcing you to “game” it and build up your skills and hit points.
Screenshot taken from a version I don't have.
I’m also not sure about levelling up; as with previous games, you level up and pick a perk, except that in Fallout 4 all the perks are shown from the beginning along with the characteristic it relates to. You can also choose to increase a statistic. This doesn’t restrict you too much to begin with but later the perks become tied up in your abilities being at a certain level. I find this to be a double-edged sword: on one hand it stops you choosing perks that it wouldn’t make sense for your character to be able to do; on the other hand, with all the perks mapped out it’s hard to justify aiming for them either, which I find a little more restrictive. But I’ll keep going and see what we get.
Bright and colourful, like every game should be.
I bought Putty Squad on the PS4 completely blind; I had no idea what it was or whether it was any good. My motivation for buying is that I wanted something I could play when my three-year-old daughter was around. Most games I play have mature themes, and while I don’t necessarily buy into the idea that video games cause children to be disturbed or violent, I want her to enjoy them as well – which she’s not going to do if I’m trudging through a post-apocalyptic wasteland, as she can’t relate to that in any meaningful way! So I had a go with Putty Squad. My first impression was that it was a PS1 game, given the graphics, frame rates and game-play which must at least have come from a time prior to controls being standardised! I wasn’t far off; the original game was released on the Super Nintendo. It’s interesting; you play as a blob of putty who is trying to rescue his putty friends. It’s a platforming game with a lot to do and an unconventional control system, but I couldn’t help but wonder what it was doing as a physical release on the PlayStation 4!
Lictors...
A while ago I bought Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion. I played it this week; if you could imagine Space Hulk as a choose your own adventure book, it’s basically that. It’s presented well, and has you initially searching for your squad on the space hulk. There’s a basic combat system that has more in common with things like Phantasy Star than anything else, and an odd Purity system where certain choices are restricted depending on how you’ve conducted yourself in the plot. However, as the former resulted in a cheap death (if your combat system relies on random number generation, don’t put a turn limit on the battles!) I didn’t remain engaged for long.
I carried on with Wolfenstein 3D too; I’m not far from the end of the game now. I’ve not got much more to say about it so I’m going to try to beat it and leave any future remarks for a review, but I’m glad I’m still enjoying it!


No comments:

Post a Comment