Wednesday 15 April 2020

Last Week's Games: Cities: Skylines, Super Smash Bros. Ulitimate, Fortnite


Strewth, I’ve been playing a lot this week! I beat Assassin’s Creed 2, you can read about that here, but I’ve talked enough about that game so here are some others:
Yeah, mine doesn't look that good.
On one of the nights in the week I had a go with Cities: Skylines, a city building game on the PC. It’s been out for a few years now and has been talked up quite positively as an alternative to SimCity. From what I’ve been hearing about the most recent iteration of SimCity, an alternative was needed, as many people weren’t happy with the always-online DRM (Digital Rights Management,) and the fact that it almost forced a multiplayer mode on what has been traditionally a single-player experience. Having not played a SimCity game since SimCity 3000, however, I went into Cities: Skylines without much prejudice; games like this have moved on since I last played one and I was willing to see what has changed since then.
I’ve been pleasantly surprised thus far! The zoning is much the same as I remember, but the roads can bend (not that I’ve been able to make it happen yet!) and while there are a certain set of utilities you need to make happen straight away like power and water, other public services – police, fire, healthcare – don’t actually come in to it until your town is big enough to give rise to the need for them. If I have any issues with it, I would say that once the game starts moving, it moves a little fast for my liking. This is arguably because I’m still trying to learn the mechanics, I can’t see the veterans of the game saying the same, and I know you can pause it, but I couldn’t help the feeling that the game was running away with me somewhat.
Absolute chaos for most of this!
I charged my Nintendo Switch and played a couple of games on that as well, namely Super Smash Bros: Ultimate. I bought this game a couple of months ago, and knowing the scale of the game, didn’t touch it for weeks. I’ve had a go with it now and I’ve quite enjoyed it; I’m not sure about the controls (Combining platforming with two-finger fighting is an odd one!) but they can be re-bound, so that’s ok. Fighting in arena battles with characters from major gaming franchises is fun, and with a lot to unlock it’s the kind of game I can dip in and out of and continue to make progress as I’m going along. I’m still getting used to the mechanics; getting your opponent’s damage to a certain point then knocking them off the edge of the stage is unlike any fighting game I’ve played before, but it’s an interesting challenge which I’m enjoying so far. If I get enough games to justify it, I might consider buying a subscription to the Nintendo live service – I haven’t yet, but I think with Smash I may always have the fact that I haven’t got a hope of unlocking any of the online achievements at the back of my mind…
Better get used to seeing this load screen...
Finally, I’ve had a go with Fortnite, the Battle Royale game that everyone’s been talking about, for better or worse. I had a go with it on the Switch; I don’t know how well that version stacks up to everyone else but that’s what I’ve chosen to play it on. It’s alright. Again, I’m finding the controls a little off, and I’m not sure how mapping some of the game’s key controls to the face buttons lends itself well to such a compact machine as the Switch. But as a shooter, it’s fine, I’ve played it for long enough to have an idea of its addictive qualities and have fallen into the trap of the “Just one more go” mentality. It is worth the hype? I don’t think so, but then again I haven’t bought the battle pass (and until I’ve earned enough, what was it again, “V-Bucks” in game to buy it, I won’t,) so I probably haven’t had much of the core experience yet. I don’t know how frequently I’ll come back to this, but it’s not like I’ve spent any money on the game, so...

No comments:

Post a Comment