Thursday 19 May 2011

12/5/2011: Pathfinder: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv

Well we were all eager to pick up where we left off last week, with Dave's character starting a food fight that ended in a challenge to a duel to the death between one of the NPCs and Dave's character. After an unsuccessful attempt to reconcile with the Japanese-looking guy that issued the challenge, we had to come up with a way that we might prevent the fight from going ahead; nobody wanted to see the guy die and we're pretty sure Dave's character never had a chance. It was then that we discovered the 'assist' rule, where the other PCs could assist a character with their skills in order to add an extra 2 to their modifier. So all we had to do was find the character with the highest charisma and skill in Diplomacy. That character turned out to be me.

I had a +6 modifier for my own skill in diplomacy, and all the character's attempts to assist me gave me an extra +8 (unsurprisingly, Traugon, the Half Orc, failed his roll for this.) Nonetheless I had to roll very high in order to make any significant impact on the guy. Thus began the first time in living memory I managed to roll a 20 on the D20. With a score of 34 not even I could have failed to make an impression... and thankfully, I was right, as the Japanese guy apologised for being hasty, and because I rolled so high he actually became friends with us as well. I won't apologise for feeling very pleased with myself.

We explored the West side of the part of the island we were on at that point, and happened across a nest of Dimorphodons. I rolled surprisingly high for initiative as well and got the first turn, scoring an impressive hit on one of the creatures. Not quite enough to kill it though, at which point I started begging for one of my companions to finish it off. This amused Vic (Traugon,) but he happily obliged. I'm starting to get an idea of Raziel as a 'Commisar Cain' type character; he's got it where it counts but he panics and avoids a straight fight where possible. We managed to kill the Dimorphodons, stealing both an egg and a young chick and bringing them back to our crazy assassin friend who agreed to teach us some of her technique, to the point where we all have a higher initiative modifier now.

This didn't really help us as we didn't get in to another fight for the rest of the time we were playing. We did, however, make a point of exploring the Eastern part of the island. We found several wrecks with a couple of things them, including the documents that proved Jask's innocence, and although we had a curious incident on one of the beaches with what appeared to be the ghost of a captain of the ship crying out for his lost love. We happened to have pilfered a locket of the woman from one of the ships and we showed it to the ghost; he 'touched' it and vanished. There was also some evidence of a hastily built camp that suggested that Captain of the Genevieve - the ship we were on in the first place - and his lover - were there at some point but had moved on. In addition to this we found viperberries growing in the jungle somewhere; we manange to take some (again thanks to the dexterity of Yours Truly) and make friends with our drunken half-elven friend. Both of those guys promised to help us with something that's going to take a while to do because in this case one item has to go around all 6 of us, we'll see what happens. And that, I think, was where we left it.

Roleplay tonight, we'll see what comes next! One thing about this - we seem to have no particular aim. Obviously there's something strange going on on the island; we keep having dreams about our escape from the Genevieve.  But there's nothing concrete going on out of the ordinary that doesn't have anything to do with our estranged captain. I follow the rest of the survivors out of a feeling for self preservation, but were I in Raziel's shoes right now, I'd be happy just to get off the island...

No comments:

Post a Comment