Wednesday 4 May 2011

3/5/11: The Horus Heresy

I actually got really excited about this, it's a bit anti-climax, but...

I bought The Horus Heresy game a few weeks ago and got to try it out with Dave for the first time last night. It looks like a brilliant game, it really does, but unfortunately we didn't get very far. After a not-so-quick scramble to put all the parts to it together, here's what the board looked like:

We were playing the Brother vs Brother scenario, which we'd got wrong anyway because there's supposed to be more Imperial Titans at the bottom of the map. We gave it a go, and we did our best, we really did, but since neither of us had a clue what we were doing and I had to keep referring back to the book, we were never going to get very far. That being said, it was a pleasure to give Angron and his merry men a kicking with the White Scars...

I've had a look at the rules again and played a practice game against myself so I've got some semblence of an idea of what to do next time. I think I've got it figured, though how I'm going to convert my knowlege of the rules mechanics into something that might help me win the game, I don't know. I managed to realise that you do need to be playing the right size of game with regard to combat, for example if it says the combat is going to last for 6 turns, (or iterations as they're called in the game,) you'd better make sure it does, or you'll get wiped out.

So, after a fairly non-descript first go, it'll be interesting to see how it all turns out next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment