Sunday 25 December 2011

25/12/2011: Aye, Dark Overlord!

Come on Matt, surely you've got better things to do on Christmas Day than write another gaming blog?

Actually, no I haven't. With the presents opened, dinner eaten, Amy talked to, family entertained and my guitar played to the point where my fingers scream in protest if I so much as fondle the strings, I think I could do worse than write about one of the nicest experiences I've had with my family for quite some time...

The concept of Aye, Dark Overlord! is wierd but fiendishly simple: One of you plays a Dark Overlord, who is accusing his Goblin Henchmen of causing a catastrpohical failure in his plan to take over the world. The rest of you play the Goblin Servants, making up excuses to get out of trouble and passing the blame on to each other. The Dark Overlord expresses his displeasure by dealing out Withering Look cards; as soon as someone gets 3, that person loses and the game is over. The hapless goblin is dragged down to the Dark Overlord's deepest, darkest, dingiest dungeon to await a fate that even Kragmortha's best torturers haven't thought about yet.

So there's no real winner to this game, it's all about participation and interacting with each other. And if I can do that with my family - bearing in mind that my Mom and Dad are coming up on 60 and the kids are 18, 24 and 26- then it can't be too bad!

Happy Christmas, gamers!

No comments:

Post a Comment