Saturday 18 January 2014

Magic The Gathering: Blue/White v Black.

I've decided to include my Magic: The Gathering games into the gaming blog, in case anybody is interested in hearing how my games went and also assessing my deck build. I played 2 games today in Titan Games, Stourbridge, and lost them both. Here's how it all went down:

My deck is Blue and White, and is built around the tactic of swarming the field with creatures and shutting down the opposing creatures. It was built as follows:

Mana:
  • Island: 15
  • Plains: 9
Creatures
  • Coral Merfolk: 4
  • Merfolk Spy: 1
  • Air Servant: 2
  • Seacoast Drake: 2
  • Warden of Evos Isle: 2
  • Messenger Drake: 1
  • Wind Drake:1
  • Seraph of Dawn: 3
  • Serra Angel: 1
  • Master of Diversion: 2
  • Setessan Battle Priest: 2 (I managed to put these in without realising!)
  • Deputy of Aquittals: 1
Other Spells
  • Claustrophobia: 4
  • Frost Breath: 4
  • Riot Control: 1
  • Spare from Evil: 1
  • Show of Valour: 2
Artefacts
  • Opaline Unicorn: 1
  • Staff of the Mind Magus: 1
  • Prowler's Helm: 1
Planeswalker: Venser the Sojourner.

The first thing to mention is that the games were one round each. The reason I've called it like that is because Steve used different decks for each game. They were both Black decks, but built slightly differently.

So, as I've mentioned, the tactic revolved around swarming the field with low-cost monsters, and doing as much as I could to make sure they were blocked as little as possible. It worked, but not quickly enough. My spells were getting through, but because they were low-powered attacks, they weren't hitting hard enough to stop Steve from building up an attack with his Black decks. But when it did work, it worked well, so I'm going to keep doing it.

I'm also going to change some of the deck:

I'm going to add 10 cards to it to bring it up to 72. This is because of my... thing with the numbers 4, 8 and 6, and 72 is the nearest legal limit of cards that divides into those three numbers. I've also swapped out both Setessan Battle Priest cards for two Scroll Thief cards, because their effect of allowing me to draw a card when they do battle damage is better conducive to my strategy. In addition to this I have added:
  • Isperia's Skywatch: 2
  • Opaline Unicorn: 1
  • Darksteel Ingot: 1
  • Celestial Flare: 1
  • Solem Offering: 2
  • Annul: 1
  • Island: 1
  • Show of Valour: 1
  • Congregate: 1
  • Archaeomancer: 1
We will see how this works out next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment