Monday 20 January 2014

Thunderstone at Titan Games, 20/1/2014

It has been a long, long time since I've played this game. Usually when I play games with Dave, we try playing things that run a little faster than this. But it's also the game I have that supports up to five players, and one I thought would be good to play in a shop environment so I bought it to Titan games and played a game against Steve Hinnett.

It's been a while since I've posted about this so to summarise how it works: It's basically dungeon-bashing with cards. You attack monsters in a 'dungeon,' with penalties based on how deep into the dungeon you're going, with your cards that grant a certain amount of attack power. You can also visit the 'village' and spend the gold your cards give you to get more heroes, spells and items to improve your performance. The idea of the game is to get to the Thunderstone, and as soon as one player obtains it, the game is over - and the person with the most victory points wins.

I got off to a good start by drawing some hands powerful enough to overcome some low-level monsters at the start of the game, however we quite quickly became stuck at a Sphinx and a couple of Oozes. They both had a relatively large amount of hit points and the Sphinx can only be harmed by magic. Getting bogged down like this is nothing unusual in Thunderstone, and we had to spend a while building up our decks to the point where we could at least take out some of the Oozes. At this point I had two options: Build up a magical attack to take on the Sphinx myself, or wait for Steve to do it and build up a party of fighter-type heroes to follow up with some of the smaller monsters. The trouble is I never really decided which of these I wanted to do, with the result that I never really built up a powerful-enough attack to be much of a threat to the other monsters, and my magic was taking far too long to build up. Steve killed the Sphinx in the end and took a whopping 7 victory points from it.

We had to call time on the game because the shop was closing, so we took stock of what we had achieved up to that point. Steve had beaten me 19-14, largely due to the Sphinx, so well done to him for coming up with a game plan and sticking to it. Could I have pulled it back had the game gone on? Well, it's a possibility, but Steve had a huge amount of damage coming out by then, so the race would have been on.

Either way, we had a lot of fun playing it. It is a refreshing change from Magic The Gathering, where games are often won and lost on deck construction before you've even started playing. It is a balanced set of rules and cards, at least with two players, but one thing we've not been able to determine yet is how the game would play with more players. I suspect a larger level of resource-rush, because you'd have 3-5 people all going after the same resources which would be a lot more limiting, and of course there is always the possibility that this could de-rail the whole game, but we'd really like to check it out and see what happens.

Lets hope we can, in the not-too-distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment