Sunday 23 February 2014

No Game New Year part 8: Fable 2


Fable 2

Fable 2 was one of the first games I ever bought for my Xbox360. Indeed, this was one of the reasons I chose the Xbox360 over the Playstation 3; I’d enjoyed the first Fable game and was eager to continue the story. It took me nearly two years to get from one side of the game to the other, purely because I kept getting distracted by other games. To be honest, this happens almost every time I play any role-playing game, and more is the pity because it means that I’ve only ever finished a couple of them. (Before now, that would be the first Fable Game, both Knights of the Old Republic games and Final Fantasy 1.)

I’ve heard a lot of publicity of from Peter Molyneux that Fable was supposed to be a unique role-playing experience. And I guess in many ways, he’s right – but not for the usual reasons. Here are some significant differences:

 

Character Classes and Development

Usually with Role-playing games you create your character at the start of the game based on how you want to play the game. You would normally choose ‘classes’ based on how you wanted your character to deal with certain situations, and they would normally be variations on the Dungeons and Dragons-style archetypes of Fighter, Wizard or Rogue, (but not very often Cleric, funnily enough. I suspect this is to do with the Cleric being a supporting character, and with no party to support, this class would be a bit redundant in most games!)

In Fable, this doesn’t really happen. Your character always starts in the same way, with a basic set of attacks, but evolves over time based on how you play the game. They can be upgraded based on Strength, Skill and Will. But here’s the thing: You can’t just pick one. If you’re going to make an effective character, you have to take at least some elements of all three.

For example, say you’re making a Rogue character. (This was my choice, as I wanted to create an evil assassin-like character, more on this later.) You would think that the Skill abilities would be the best ones to upgrade, and they are – but they’re not the only ones. The game doesn’t really have a stealth system, so most of the Skill-based abilities concern the way you shoot your ranged weapons, and one of them gives you a dodge roll (I think.[1]) However, if you want your hero to be any good in melee combat at all you need to at least give them the Strength upgrades that gives them access to the combat moves, and investing in Will points isn’t a bad idea either as it gives access to a ‘time’ spell that can be used as a teleport. So, you can’t make a pure or ‘mono’ class. Apart from anything else, if you sink all your experience points into one path, you will find that you’ve run out of things to improve long before the game ends! I’ve not really tried playing through the game with a massive focus on any of the other classes, but you can’t for example make a pure Fighter as certain sections of the game do require you to cast spells, and you need at least some way to aim a ranged attack for the last boss. And being a pure Will user is not much use either because you won’t develop any extra hit points or any means to avoid damage, so as soon as the enemy breaks through you will be very vulnerable indeed. So the game almost forces you to take at least some measure of all three.

Incidentally, the archetypes are covered by the supporting cast, who do seem to be purely one kind of hero.

 

Alignment

I played the game to the end with an Evil character, for little reason other than in the three files I have saved onto my Xbox, the Evil character is the one where I’d made the most progress through the game and I wanted to wrap this up reasonably quickly...

This is probably one of two games where I’ve played an evil character and looked for the so-called ‘bad’ ending. I don’t usually like doing this because I hate being chided for my actions that I know are wrong, or ‘evil,’ during the game. However, because Fable 2 doesn’t take itself too seriously, and the consequences of evil actions are often quite comical (try sacrificing someone to the Temple of Shadows and listen to the guy’s reaction and you’ll see what I mean,) this time I didn’t mind playing an evil character too much. I ended up with a character that looked for the entire world like a Demon; grey skin, veined lines and horns, and people ran away from her[2] in terror when she approached. There were some foolhardy enough to marry her, and then she sacrificed them to the Temple. I won’t say it didn’t make me feel a little bad – immersion in the game is one of the reasons I play games, after all – but in general, this is one of the games where I didn’t mind being the evil character.

Incidentally, the other one was Star Wars: Jedi Academy. That was only because no matter how you play the game all the way though, the decision you make that gives you the ‘bad’ ending comes right at the end of the game and you’ve only got to do one more level anyway.

I did find it a little odd that the game doesn’t force one particular ending on you. Without spoiling any of the individual endings, at the end of the game you basically get to choose how it all turns out from a choice of three endings. One is obviously the good ending, one is the bad ending and one is the neutral ending.[3] Now, I’m glad it lets you choose at least the latter, because playing a neutral character in any game is surprisingly hard to do. Having vastly different motivations within the same character makes the game feel a little unbalanced; most quests that have a degree of morality in them have either a good or evil ending, and if you’re not consistent with your choices you might find playing the game a rather strange experience. However, Fable 2 seemed perfectly happy to allow me to choose the ‘good’ ending, even though by that point I was about as evil as you can get.

 

Voice Acting

Most games these days use voice actors to one degree or another, especially RPGs. And with enough talent, some of those voices can be stellar performances; I’m thinking mainly of Jennifer Hale here because nothing she’s ever lent her voice to came out badly, that I’m aware of. And I keep seeing her name coming up in voice-acting credits, so she seems like a pretty big name!

Fable 2 differs from this in the sense that its supporting class are people I’ve actually heard of. I’m not sure how famous the British actors are in America, but Zoe Wanamaker was very good as the sage-like-but-slightly-creepy seer Teresa. People from the UK would recognise her as Susan from the TV Sitcom My Family, and our friends in America are more likely to remember her as Madame Hooch from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s (Philosopher’s) Stone. Julia Sawalha was a surprising choice for bulky fighter Hammer, but she did a very good job. I’ll always remember her as Saffy from the TV Sitcom Absolutely Fabulous, but if you’ve ever seen the film Chicken Run, she performed the voice of Ginger. Ron Glass (I think he’s American) put in a good performance as the Will User Garth, and I’ll always remember him as Shepherd Book in the brilliant Firefly. However, the best character for me is undoubtedly Reaver, voiced by the always-excellent Steven Fry. It would have been so easy to make the evil rogue a shadowy assassin in a cowl, but they really gave the character its own lease of life and Fry’s performance was incredible. I’m told he appears in Fable 3 which I also have but have never played; I’m looking forward to seeing how he’s developed in the later game!

So, Fable 2 takes itself less seriously than other role-playing games, and for that reason I think I had a lot more fun with it than I had with, say, Skyrim and Dragon Age. Not that those are bad games, but Fable’s pacing just made it a little bit more fun. I’ll keep the game for now as I’d like to finish it with the other characters, but I’ll put that on the back-burner as I might try something a little different for next week


[1] At the time of writing, the Fable Wiki was either so poorly coded or had such a lot of traffic on it that it froze up the moment I tried to take it past the first page. This makes research for this game a little bit more difficult than I would have liked, so you should be aware that I am making educated guesses for some of this.
[2] Don’t ask me why, but where there is a choice, I generally prefer to play female characters. It’s just my ‘thing.’
[3] The same was the case in the first Fable game as well, except that there was no ‘neutral’ option.

No comments:

Post a Comment