Sunday 10 August 2014

No Game New Year: Ecco Jr


Ecco Jr.

Three completed games in the space of a week? I should play old games more often…

I’m not sure I ever intended to play this, even when I bought the Sega Megadrive Collection disk years ago for my PS2, as I would have wanted to play the first two games (Ecco the Dolphin, and Ecco: The Tides of Time) first. But as this is one of the three games that did not appear on the Xbox 360 version of this compilation, I thought I’d better give it a go.

It’s strange; I have a kind of ‘love/hate’ relationship with Ecco. As a concept, having the hero as a dolphin swimming around in the sea for the entire game is a brilliant idea and not a risk you would see many triple-A publishers taking these days! I was drawn in by the idea of puzzle-solving and finding secrets; almost like you were treasure-hunting under the sea. What’s not to like?

On the other hand, the games were very hard. I owned the Tides of Time way back when I owned a Megadrive, and got stuck on the 10th level. I had a list of codes that would take me to all the levels but I had no idea what to do on each one. And this was a time before I could look at a wiki to find out!  Then there was the sullen mood of the game, assisted by the beautiful but almost ambient soundtrack, plus the fact that I don’t like fish very much and there found some of the enemies very unpleasant and borderline frightening, meant that for me, Ecco was not always an entirely enjoyable experience.

Ecco Jr. though…

 
This game was geared towards younger players, and it shows. For a start, you can’t die. At all. There’s no health bar or oxygen bar that was a staple of the previous games. You can’t drown, and the worst thing enemies can do to you is block your path for a moment. You spend the game doing what are essentially ‘fetch quests,’ as you swim around the levels trying to reunite a lost seahorse with its mother, herding fish into a cave and finding a seal’s ball. No, really. The end game is that Ecco and his friends (a young Orca and a baby dolphin, all playable but as far as I could see the only difference was the sound they make when they use the Sonar,) want to meet Big Blue, the whale from the previous game, and if they do all the puzzles the crystal glyphs will show them the way.

What's that? Objective markers so you actually
know what you're supposed to be doing?
It’s a kind of paradox that they took a lot, but at the same time not very much, out of the game play. For example, Ecco can’t attack in this game, but with no enemies there’s no real reason to do so. You can’t flip in the air but this was only ever aesthetic anyway. One mechanic they actually added to it, which I thought was absolutely brilliant, was that if you were facing the right way and used your sonar, the sonar would bounce back to you from the direction you were supposed to be going in order to meet your objective. The previous Ecco games would have been a lot easier if they’d put that in from the start! If you remember that Ecco is, at its heart, a puzzle game, you realised that the developers for Ecco Jr.[1] put their focus almost entirely on this – and therefore did not take much away from the game at all.
 

Did I enjoy it? Well… there’s not a lot of challenge that’s actually built into the game, and I’m not in to speed running so the game didn’t have a lot going for me. I’m glad I played it through to the end but I see no real need ever to do so again. I won’t spoil the ending but I suspect it would be the same no matter which character you played, so unless the levels are randomly generated (I didn’t check. It would be unusual but not unknown,) there’s not a lot of replay value here. It took me about an hour to get through the game and that was quite enough.

But again, this game was geared for younger players, and I find myself wondering if I would have enjoyed it more if I was 4-5 years old. And the answer is: I probably would, as there’s plenty of positive things about the game that would appeal to younger children! 

It’s worth mentioning that Ecco Jr, while not very challenging, was a competently-made game. There are no bugs or glitches that I can see. The levels are not very big and look more or less the same all the way through, but you’re never swimming around looking confused for more than a few minutes. There’s no fail state, nor are there any enemies to induce it. And the game feels a lot more ‘happy-go-lucky’ than the previous games could ever manage with their plots about vortex aliens and dark futures.

Contrast that with the previous games, where it was very hard to work out what you had to do, it was possible to drown, and some of the enemies were horrifying (I’m thinking mainly of Medusa from the second game) and you realise the game would potentially put off a lot of the younger market. The choice to make the previous games hard was entirely deliberate, but I’m glad an easier version of the game exists. I remember playing games not unlike this on my old Acorn Archimedes computer I had years and years ago, when I was of the age you might expect to enjoy a game such as Ecco Jr. And I had a lot of fun with them at the time, playing through them and later showing my younger brother how to play them as well. It was nice to see a Megadrive game going the same way.

To conclude, while I doubt I’d be impressed if I’d dropped £30 on this game, (not likely since as far as I can see it was only ever released in Australia before virtual consoles and this compilation) it exists for the right reasons. I probably won’t play it again, but I’m happy that I had the opportunity to do so.


[1] Appaloosa Interactive, if you want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment