Monday 4 August 2014

No Game New Year: Virtua Fighter 2 (Mega Drive Version)

OK, here’s another long, convoluted story about my life to explain this one away:

As part of a mid to long term future that has so far taken me up to two and a half years, I’m hoping to move out of my parent’s house quite soon. The reason it’s taking so long is another story. But the point is that when I do eventually move out, the Playstation 2 won’t be coming with me. Why? Because it’s not mine; it belongs to my sister. Some – but not all – of the games we’ve got for it are mine, but as the console itself is not mine to take, I won’t be taking it. This being the case, I thought I’d better play through some of my PS2 games.

 
Sega Megadrive Collection

For clarity, this is not the same game as I own on the Xbox 360. Most of the games are the same, but the Xbox 360 version has more games including the best game in the world, Streets of Rage II, so I was always going to buy this once I had a 360! I’m not going to waste my time playing through all the games that appear on both discs though, instead focussing my attention on the three games the PS2 has that the 360 version does not: Ecco Jr, Sword of Vermillion and Virtua Fighter 2.
 

Virtua Fighter 2

I would imagine that anybody who grew up in the 90s would remember this game. Virtua Fighter was the first time I can remember seeing 3D graphics in a fighting game, and for the time it looked beautiful. Virtua Fighter 2 only improved on it, with better graphics, more characters and a whole lot of pound coins dropped on it in an arcade somewhere in South Wales. That last bit was my contribution.

See? Rubbish.
Let’s get this out of the way right now: This is not a good port. The Sega Megadrive (Genesis to you Americans out there) just did not have the processing power of the arcade machines. The Sega Saturn version presumably looked a little better but the Megadrive version did not have the graphical fidelity, the sound clarity or the fluid controls. The sprites probably would have looked better on Streets of Rage. The sound and the voice acting in particular are choppy and horrible. And the game controls are clunky and unresponsive. For a Megadrive title, this was as good as it was ever going to get,[1] but compared to the ‘real’ version, this is not very good at all.

So, has the game got anything going for it at all?

Actually yes… ignoring the awful port for a second, I think Virtua Fighter left behind an impressive legacy. It was the first arcade game to use fully-3D graphics;[2] Sony’s Tekken was not far behind but VF got there first, and set the standard for what was to come in what at that point was the next generation. It was also the first game that I am aware of to include a character that could mimic others. A lot of fighting games have done it since then, but VF’s Dural was the first character I can think of that could start the round as any character, lending an air of mystery and a significant challenge to the final boss of the game.

But what I really liked about Virtua Fighter was that it was probably the most technical of the fighting games at that point – and for quite a long time afterwards as well.[3] All the characters had a certain move-set, but you could either block or counter most of the moves and you wouldn’t take any damage in doing so. Contrast this with other popular fighting games of the time; Street Fighter II and whatever iteration of Mortal Kombat we were up to at that point, which all had ‘stun’ mechanics, where you could do a move or combo that would hold your opponent still for several seconds. This meant that once your opponent started to build up some momentum, it was actually quite hard to win. Not so with Virtua Fighter. As long as you block and counter in the right places it is NEVER too late to pull the fight back. Of course, the fact that in most cases this was very, very hard made the challenge of actually doing it right all the more satisfying when you did.

I chose Jacky for my playthrough, as his style (Jeet Kune Do) is quick, efficient and gets the job done. Of course, the lack of an instruction manual meant I had to work out a lot of the moves for myself, and most of the time I managed to pull off his more damaging moves was a lot more by luck than judgement. I managed to get through about half of the fighters quite easily, but Sarah, Jeffrey, Wolf and of course Akira were rock hard and I needed a few tries to beat them! I managed to get to the end of the game and fight Dural but not beat her, because it is IMPOSSIBLE. You only get one chance to do it; if you lose the fight it’s Game Over and you have to start all over again.

Well, perhaps not impossible… but the fact is I don’t care enough about the Virtua Fighter canon to do it. There was never much of a story in the game and this port was no exception. If I hadn’t played the game in the 90s and been watching the characters fighting the demos pretty much since then, I might have checked this game out and thought “Well, who are these people? What are they fighting for exactly? Why should I care?” This version of VF2 does little to answer those questions, and since the fights always appear in exactly the same order, there’s little variety beyond learning all the character’s move sets. It probably would be more fun in multiplayer, but what isn’t? So, having got to the end credits with one of the characters, I think it’s safe for me to say I’ve got everything I’m going to get out of this one, and put it to bed.


[1] The game was released towards the end of the Megadrive’s lifespan.
[3] I actually had both versions of Virtua Fighter 4 for the PS2 at some point as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment