Wednesday 1 July 2015

Backlog Beatdown: Bringing the Chaos to Blood Bowl


Yesterday I beat Blood Bowl for the first time after about three years of owning the game. I made it a game I ran alongside playing through another game, as it is best enjoyed in small bursts and the fact that it is saved on my hard drive meant that it was a quick dirty game I could just play without having to be arsed to change the disc.
I can only assume this screenshot was taken from a
version I don't have, because at no point did the
game EVER look this good...
 

So I tried covering Blood Bowl for a while during No Game New Year, and I felt the need to make a note of who scored what etc so that the narrative developed in the blog. There were two main problems with this approach:
1.      It was a lot more busy-work than fun, and
2.      I chose Humans.
Not that there’s anything particularly wrong with Humans, you understand, but I always missed playing the Chaos team.
So for this playthrough, I chose a Chaos team and named them Children of the Gor. It was supposed to be Children of the Gore, but I ran out of space before I did the ‘e’, and since Gor relates to Beastmen anyway it wasn’t a huge loss. Their tactics, unsurprisingly, consist of the following two steps:
·        Find something,
·        Kill it.
Or to put it another way, rely on your blocks to utterly destroy the opposing team. A very unsubtle way of playing Blood Bowl, but one that worked very well after a while with the right combination of upgrades. It tends to work best against Humans, Goblins, Dark Elves and Orcs, funnily enough. Against Wood Elves and Skaven it would either work or it wouldn’t, and it tended to depend on whether I could take enough of them out the game before they scored too many points. With Dwarves the tactic itself didn’t work well, but as long as you can keep them to one side of the pitch or the other you could usually find a gap and take the win. Lizardmen were a pain in the bum because they had the combination of small fast skinks and Saurus warriors who were easily a match for most of my Beastmen.
For the first time, however, I actually planned how my team was going to develop. In any game with a Dice mechanic, there is one rule you should never forget: If you can get screwed by the dice, you will get screwed by the dice. So I chose to take the upgrades that would present the dice with as few opportunities as possible to screw me. Beastmen come with Horns by default (+1 Strength with a Blitz action,) so wherever possible I gave them Block, Tackle and if I rolled it Dodge. Once they had an outside possibility of remaining upright for more than a couple of turns, I then proceeded to look at Damage Output. Chaos can always take a Strength and Mutation upgrades so I chose Mighty Blow and Claw if I could; that did a lot to take at least some of the opposing players out of the game. The only exception to the plan was when my level-up roll allowed me to take a stat increase; it is almost always worth doing this.
Let's have some better commentary next time, eh?
If I hear that quip about Margoth Doomgrin one more time...
I took the team right the way through the 15 competitions in the campaign mode, winning all but 2 of them and having them on top of the rankings. It was a nice feeling to finally win the Blood Bowl after all this time!
Now I know what you’re thinking: “But Blood Bowl’s crap! All the reviews say so.” Well, yeah. But do you know what? I love it. It’s one of the few games I own on the 360 that I’ve always been happy to come back to whenever I feel like it. Yes, by the standards of most of the games of that period, it is absolutely appalling – no variety in the gameplay, very little customisation and the multiplayer is non-existent. But I’ve always enjoyed the game. I’ll hang on to it because there are still some achievement points for me to get, (none that relate to multiplayer for obvious reasons,) and it’ll be there ready to come back to when I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment