Wednesday 22 July 2015

Backlog Beatdown: Ending the Fable with Fable 3


Fable 3 was one of the first games I bought for the Xbox 360, and for the longest time I didn’t play it. I wanted to beat Fable 2 first, and by the time I did (during No Game New Year!) I was all ‘Fabled’ out. I had heard that it wasn’t as good as Fable 2, but I wanted to play it myself before I passed judgement. Here’s what I found out:
I think this game is to RPGs of the 7th generation of consoles what Final Fantasy Mystic Quest/Legend[1] was to the 4th. Enjoyable enough, but sorely lacking in a lot of what makes RPGs so compelling to people who play them. Fortunately for me, that’s things like crafting and customising equipment, picking the correct combination of skills and feats for character customisation, and min-maxing stats. None of that is in Fable 3. Here, you always know what you’re supposed to be doing, even if that never varies from fetch quests and getting from point A to point B without getting killed along the way. There’s no point in building a character to a certain archetype either; the Fighter, Rogue and Mage tropes are all there but in Fable it is invariably more efficient to take a balance of all 3. You just… progress. And that’s fine by me.
The game looks beautiful. It goes from gorgeous rural landscapes to gritty industrial sections and still feels like part of the same world. But graphics are rarely the selling point for me. As long as it’s not hideous, I’ll happily play a game that looks reasonably average as long as it’s fun to play.
Let's not forget whose show this was...
Is Fable 3 fun? Yes – but not necessarily because of the gameplay. The combat has been criticised for being too easy and unbalanced, and while I think some of those issues may have been fixed in updates, the combat encounters sprung upon you are rarely welcome. The fun in Fable 3 comes from the story, which is good, and the voice performances of the lead characters which are excellent. The show goes to Steven Fry, who reprises his role as Reaver with exactly the right balance of menace and panache, but the huge list of big names – almost a who’s who of British actors – do a sterling job of bringing the world to life.
 
And then we get to the end of the game…

Peter Molyneux has been criticised for over-promising and under-delivering, and this is no more apparent than in the last few hours of the game. You overthrow the tyrannical ruler of Albion and become the Queen.[2] At this point, your country is under attack from the Darkness and will be attacked within a year, by which time you need to have raised 6,500,000 – it purports to fund an army, and a citizen will die for every gold piece you don’t raise. You have a number of moral choices to make in the form of petitions given to you by the community, including some of the NPCs – do you choose the good option, which almost always costs you money, or the evil option, which potentially saves you money but reduces the moral standing among your people? I chose the good moral choices thinking I could make up the excess later, but here the game presents its real challenge: People are always asking for money, and it’s not easy to make enough of it to defend your kingdom.
The only way that you can potentially have it both ways is to buy every property in the game, rent it out and spend a lot of time faffing about (the game credits you every 5 minutes or so) to raise the money. That was my strategy, but the game mis-represents the time you have to do this. There’s no warning; there’s something like half the year left between the last time you could affect the treasury and the final battle. By this time I’d raised less than 20,000, and when it was over, most of the people in my kingdom were dead.
Always a lot of money - but never enough.
I guess that’s a learning experience that I’ll take into the game next time, if there’ll be a next time. Not that I’m bitter, or anything – it’s more of a practical issue. I bought the game second-hand, and whoever had it before me didn’t look after the disk very well. It’s tanking the motors on my 360 just to run the game, probably not thanking me for it, so unless I really fancy going through the game again and meta-gaming it right up until the end, I’ll probably put the Fable series to bed, having now completed all 3 games.


[1] Quest if you’re in the US, Legend in the UK.
[2] As I’ve said before, I almost always play female characters in video RPGs.

No comments:

Post a Comment