Tuesday 8 May 2018

Last Week's Games: Eternal Crusade, Shadow of the Horned Rat and Drop Assault


This week I’ve been mostly playing Warhammer… 
 

If you don't like the taste of salt,
steer clear of Eldar...
I’ve been having a pretty decent time with Eternal Crusade; I’m starting to find my feet a bit with the game and the different classes now. I enjoy running the Heavy class if I’m Chaos, the Jump Assault class if I’m Space Marines and the Slugga if I’m Orks. It’s still very rare that I achieve a score beyond the bottom third of the leader board, but if I place anywhere other than the last position on the table then I’m happy. I’m up to level three with those three factions and I’m enjoying finding the different ways they can advance, although I find it curious that a lot of the buffs you can give them mean less points for certain weapons (you equip your characters on a points-buy system.) When your points limit is 1000, you’d welcome having to spend less on your weapons – and if there was anything else you could conceivably give them in their place, you probably would. As it is, knocking 100 points off your main weapon doesn’t do you much good when all the other equipment slots are full and there’s nothing else you can give them.
Also as I don’t play this style of game very often, I’m not used to the nastiness that very often permeates their multiplayer communities. As it stands, it seems to be a faux pas to play as Eldar, as their hit boxes are slightly smaller and their weapons do a lot of damage. They also seem to be very well co-ordinated. As for me, I don’t really mind; I’ve played against Eldar and won. But I find myself spending a fleeting few seconds wondering if people making those remarks would say that to people’s faces. Maybe they would.
Wow, this looks dated now...
I’ve also been playing Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat. This was a game I borrowed off someone years ago when I was still at school. I think I still have the disc somewhere but I’ll never get it to work on my laptop in a million years, and I’ve got it for the PlayStation but the controls are very difficult on that. So I downloaded it again of GOG and I’ve been thoroughly enjoying playing through it again, although the game is very difficult and I found myself stuck on the same levels I was stuck on all that time ago. I’ll probably keep playing it though!
My new game for this week – I’m on a bit of a Games Workshop kick – was The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault for my Kindle Fire 7. This is essentially a clicker game popular on mobile devices – click on a thing, wait for a thing to happen, click on another thing to make another thing happen, build up more resources so you can click on other things to make other things happen. I wasn’t expecting much more, frankly, but I find myself disappointed that I didn’t get more. It’s supposed to re-enact one of the key moments of the Horus Heresy: The Massacre on Isstvan, but that was a swift and brutal massacre, not a full-blown campaign.
At no point when I was playing
did it get this exciting...
To be honest it’s not a canon I have much interest in exploring. There’s a series of 42 books on it, and I read about the first ten, but they’re so unforgivably grim and bleak that I couldn’t bring myself to read another. Not when I know perfectly well how it all works out anyway, given that the result of the Horus Heresy is what the entire Warhammer 40,000 universe is built upon. If there’s some form of interactive media that’s going to make the journey interesting, I’m probably not going to find it on a mobile game. There’s nothing wrong with Drop Assault, but I didn’t find it very entertaining.
I also had some time in Warlords and Wizards on Saturday night painting some of my Word Bearers. It’s a really nice atmosphere in there and it’s a pleasure to sit down and paint some models for a few hours. I’m looking forward to getting my Word Bearers on the gaming table, but one thing at a time; I’ve still got a load of cultists to paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment