Monday 7 January 2019

Last Week's Games: Mordheim, Crash Bandicoot, Roll the Ball


This week, I’ve been playing Mordheim: City of the Damned on my laptop. People who follow my blog posts will know that I love this game, even though it has all of its bugs and imperfections, and the fact that it tanks the power on my laptop to the point where I’m terrified it’s going to cause the blue screen of death. I started a game using Human Mercenaries late last summer and I carried on with that rather than starting again. I got through the first two campaign missions quite quickly, especially since I found how to avoid the bug I was running into last time (I think. It was a vague recollection I hesitate to dignify by calling a memory!)
I tried the third campaign mission in the Library as well, but here I ran into some difficulty. The principle enemies in the Library are Daemons, which cause terror to most of the warriors in the warband. This reduces your chance to hit and some of your strategy and offence points, which means your warriors are less effective when fighting them. The exception, of course, is Luther – the Dramatis Personae who accompanies you on the campaign missions. He is immune to fear and terror, so I over-used him to fight the Daemons. He eventually fell, but with the campaign missions, if the Dramatis Personae falls, the mission is over, though thankfully with no further consequences to your warband.
They're like onions, I've heard...
Next time I tackle that mission I’ll bring my Ogre – he is also immune to fear, and probably terror as well, so I’ll have at least two warriors that can fight the mission at full capacity. But he’s going to need some training before I take him out on a mission that vital, and the problem I’m running into is that he rarely survives any mission I take him on. When you take an Impressive class out on a mission, the AI always does the same – and theirs is usually better. They cause fear by default, and will often have abilities and hit points far in advance of yours. If they surprise you with their location, you very often find that there’s no time to wear them down first, and taking them on comes down to a straight fight between the two impressives, that yours can’t win. It doesn’t always work out that way, but more often than not it does.
There's getting through the level, then there's
beating the time trials...
While I was playing this, my girlfriend Kirsty was sat next to me playing Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy on her PS4 and I was helping her out with some of the harder bits. I’d played Crash Bandicoot sparingly before, usually when I’d been around somebody’s house, but I never owned the game so I’ve never put any substantial amount of time into it. Nonetheless, I was able to help with some of the harder platforming sections, such as in the Native Fortress and a few of the Ice levels in the second game. I even managed to get an achievement for it – the one where you “accidentally” spin away an extra life. (Funnily enough, that trophy is called “I meant to do that.”) I’m having a decent amount of fun doing it as well; 3D platformers aren’t games I play very often, and it’s nice to have a go at one from time to time.
This was one of the levels I
"cheated" on.
On my phone, I played Roll the Ball; the only game I have on there and what I play when I’m fed up of reading about Brexit on Facebook. I got to the end of the “Angle” level pack in Rotation Mode. It’s a tough set of levels as it’s not always obvious what combination of spins you need to do to guide the ball to the goal, and I confess I have had to use youtube guides for one or two of them. This is arguably cheating but if I’m getting bogged down to the point where I’m not enjoying the game anymore, then I guess it’s OK.
Last week I had the benefit of the Christmas holiday giving me some free time; I won’t get that this week and I’m expecting a busy time so next blog may be a bit lighter!


No comments:

Post a Comment