Tuesday 5 May 2020

Last Week's Games: Moving House and some other bits of faff...


Despite some major positive changes happening in my life lately, this blog will take on a mainly negative tone. None of it is all that bad, in the grand scheme of things, but there are some inconveniences which have meant I haven’t had all that much time for playing games over the last couple of weeks.
Yeah...
The most significant thing that has happened to me in a few years, then, is that I bought a house. This was something that we had to organise quite quickly. Kirsty and I had been planning to move out of our flat and into a house for a little over a year at that point; for various reasons we didn’t manage it until now. We viewed the property back in January and offered on it, then Covid-19 happened which bought with it all sorts of confusion with the solicitors doing the conveyance. By the time we’d got a straight answer and a date for completion, we had about six days to pack down our entire home and move it into a house – thankfully not far away, but it was a confused mess and we couldn’t count on much help! Part of what this meant was that I had to move my entire collection of board games, and this very afternoon I managed to arrange them all against the same wall our spare room, taking the picture you see on your right while conceding that I really do have problems with obsessive hoarding.
Apart from the time it takes to move to a new house and get everything fixed and tidy there, which is still an ongoing process, we couldn’t use our TVs for a while either. The landlord of the flat we moved out of cut the plugs off our TVs and wired them up straight into the mains so that we didn’t have wires trailing everywhere.[1] The problem was of course that with the lockdown, he couldn’t put them back on again, and because the plugs they came are sealed, neither could we. So, we had to wait for a convenient moment to go and buy some plugs to plug the TV in before I could use any of the consoles! Of course, there was always the Switch or my Laptop, but time was not on my side this week, so I didn’t get to play them too much.
I tried to come up with some sort of snide remark about
where I'd like to stick that sniper rifle but it just came
out really rude.
One game I won’t be playing again is Fortnite on the Nintendo Switch. I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy any of it, but it’s cost me a lot more than it was worth. Basically, my account got hacked, and a certain amount of money was spent on it. I won’t say exactly how much here; it was more than a takeaway, less than the deposit on my house. I’d never had a problem with this before in a year of owning the Switch and came across it within weeks of sharing information with Epic Games, so in addition to changing my password, I’ve deleted Fortnite off my Swtich and I won’t be playing it anymore. I’m currently having some email dialogue with Nintendo to resolve the situation, so hopefully I will get my money back, but this has left a rather bitter taste in my mouth as you might imagine!
I tried to have a go on my Xbox 360 – I was hoping to beat Sonic Generations, and I’ve been able to see my games for the first time in a year and a half (they’ve been in the loft hitherto) so I was hoping to try those of them I hadn’t gotten around to playing yet. Two things got in the way of that – first, the HDMI cable wasn’t plugged in, and second, it’s doing that thing again where the controller won’t connect to the console. This is the second time it’s had this problem this year, and it won’t be going away – it might be time for a new one. I’ll try and order one in the next few days; if nothing else I’ll get an extremely helpful new hard drive to download some free games on to!
Until next week…


[1] It’s alright, he’s an electrician; he knows how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment