Monday 13 July 2020

Last Week's Games: Mortal Kombat, Might and Magic X, Syndicate


This has been a busy week for me with birthday arrangements, so I’ve not found much time to play many games – and the one I managed was another pick-up-and-play job.

How many of you have wondered what
Goro is packing down there?
I speak of course of Mortal Kombat, where after trying for weeks to beat the game with Scorpion, I finally managed to do it with Johnny Cage. It’s been an interesting journey for me since I have been recognising a lot more of the technical aspect of the game, rather than just brutalising the opponents, fun though that is. In Cage’s case, what won it for me was his special moves – for their additional effects as much as their damage. As with most of the characters, using them is not without risk, as they don’t return to their ready positions for a second or two, which makes them vulnerable to reprisals. With Cage, the Shadow Kick gives a great knockback effect, but if your opponent blocks it, they can very easily follow through with additional attacks. The Force Ball, however, won the game for me, because it stuns your opponent for a precious moment for you to either get your bearings or launch a follow-up attack. I never even did the split punch, as the command for it is fiddlier than the version that appeared on the Sega Megadrive and it was rarely useful.

As usual, the end of the game came down to the last credit (I wouldn’t have it any other way!) and a lot of it depends on what Shang Tsung morphs in to on the final level, but I managed to come through and beat the game. Cage’s ending, while not canon, nonetheless is representative of the direction his character made in the later editions of the game – in spirit, if not in activity!

The Naga Temple. Might need to grind some XP before
I tackle that bit again.
About a week ago I had a go with Might and Magic X on my laptop. Might and Magic sounds right up my alley in terms of game theme, but I’d never really played one before because the reviews I’d seen on the game were coming up at the bottom end of average at best. However, the games in the series were on sale, I bought it, and the other week I played it. I quite liked it, as well. It’s a role-playing game that basically works on a grid; even though it is a first-person game, the game works by moving your characters to certain squares on the grid and filling in the map from your line of sight as they go. On the one hand this is unrealistic, on the other hand, I quite like games that remember they’re only games, so I ran with it and was pleasantly surprised with how much fun I was having. The nearest game I’ve played to this so far has been the Legend of Grimrock, but the difference here is that the game progresses when you act, so whatever you can see will only move when you move. This works well for me as it gives me time to figure out what to do, as opposed to dealing with Grimrock’s horribly clunky interface in real time. Whether I’ll see it through to the end or not, I don’t know – it’s actually quite rare for me to do that with RPGs, as regular readers of the blog will know – but I’ve enjoyed my time with it so far and I hope I continue to do so.

I played Syndicate at some point as well and managed to get through the level where you must make your way through the Downzone. This is interesting as you can no longer rely on your hacking powers to kill your enemies, as the better ones are shut down. It also ended in a boss battle where the enemy uses stealth, which took a few goes, mainly because he explodes when he dies, and because I didn’t realise this, he killed me too the first few times. It took the story in a direction where, as I’m sure is quite common in Cyberpunk games, the lines between good and evil are blurred, and you don’t know who to trust – a familiar trope, but it works well for these games.

No comments:

Post a Comment