Friday 3 July 2020

Last Week's Painting: Space Hulk, Terminators and Genestealers


This is the first in a new, hopefully monthly blog series I’ll be doing called Last Week’s Painting, where I’ll document what I’ve been painting over the last month. They’ll mostly be Games Workshop models; it’s extremely rare for me to paint anything else but I’m open suggestions! I’ll initially try to get these out on the first Thursday of every month but I’m already late for the first one, so let’s just say I’ll try to get it out at some point in the first week!

My painting for this month has focussed on the 2009 Space Hulk boxed set. I’ve owned this set for over a decade and even managed to play the game a few times as detailed in some very early editions of this blog, but I’d never quite got around to painting them. There were a lot of reasons for that but the main one was that there was no expectation that I had to. I acquired the set when I was a member of Games Workshop’s staff; they’ve released a few board game-style games over the last several years but rarely support them post-launch in favour of their core games. And in the shop, there was an expectation that if you were going to use your models in the shop, you had to paint them – or at least show that there had been some progress on them. So, when painting, I prioritised models from those games at the time, and as my backlog of models I need to paint has only grown since then, the Games Workshop boxed games haven’t been painted.

But when lockdown hit, I’d run out of models to paint for the Chaos Space Marine army I was working on, so I proceeded with the Space Hulk models I’ve been putting off for over a decade. I started with six of the Terminator models and tried as much as I could to paint to the reference on the back of the Mission book. For the most part it worked reasonably well, although I might try to mix the red a little thicker next time because it was a faff painting multiple thin layers on a black undercoat. (I’d never have known until I tried, and I’d like to do Blood Angels at some point so it’s well worth remembering!) Where I deviated from the reference was the Power Sword, which I’ve never been good at doing, and the gems, which I had idea how to do. With the sword, I painted it a deep blue to begin with and then tried a lightning pattern freehand across the sword. I don’t think I did a particularly good job of it, but by that point I hadn’t painted for over a month and wanted to finish them off without getting bogged down. The gems, under the advice of Steve from Warlords and Wizards, were painted silver initially then coated in the purple paint that I think is supposed to go in an airbrush. It seemed to work!


Here we see the Genestealers I’ve been working on in the last week or so. This has been an interesting challenge because I’m definitely not used to painting Tyranids; I tried it many years ago when I was still in school, and I think once when I was staff I painted a model for the shop, but I’ve never collected a whole army of them. I think that’s largely because their complete lack of humanity made them very difficult to relate to, so I wasn’t tempted to try. These days, of course, I know that’s the whole point of Tyranids – to create an unstoppable force of alien creatures to scare the life out of anybody unfortunate enough to have to face them; and the human element is the one they create – not the one they have. I’m following the guides available on Warhammer TV and painting them the classic Genestealer colours. The one at the front is the one where I’ve attempted to do the highlighting on the flesh; I ran out of time to do any more, but it worked relatively well and will probably take up a bigger portion of my time next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment