Saturday 24 October 2020

Last Week's Games: Painting Backlog, Necromunda, Spyro 2

The biggest thing that happened to me this week gaming-wise was completing the painting of my Space Hulk boxed set. I tend to keep anything I want to say about painting separate these days, so I’ve written a blog for them that you can read here. I’m mentioning it in this post because it inspired me to think about painting my models, how many of them I still have to do, and whether ever actually doing it is a realistic option for me.

Painted, and ready to play...
I’ve run into the same problem that every wargamer / hobby gamer runs in to at some point: The backlog. I’ve bought a lot of models from hobby shops in the past, most of them Games Workshop, some of them not, and for one reason or another never got around to painting them. The reason for this is mainly because I give priority to whatever army I’m currently working on, as there is a certain expectation that they will be painted should I ever wish to use them in a shop game. At least, that’s the case with Games Workshop, or Warhammer as the shops are called now. Other, independent stores may be a little more lenient about it but having all my models painted is a standard I set for myself during my time as staff. The box games that I’ve been buying have therefore taken a back seat. This changed during lockdown, where I had more than the usual amount of free time (though not much!) and once I’d painted all the models from the Black Legion force I was working on, I made a start on the Space Hulk set. You’d think, with not even 40 models in the set, it would have taken me a little less than eight months, but somehow that’s where we are. I paint intermittently; always have, always will. But that means that my backlog of models is taking a long time to get through.

So, what does that mean? Is clearing my backlog a realistic goal for lockdown? Possibly; it’s been going on for longer than I originally anticipated, and with the UK Conservative Government changing its strategy about as often as most people change their clothes, it could go on for a great deal longer before we’re finally clear of Covid-19. It’s not likely, though. I’ve got quite a few sets to get through! However, it may be possible to make a large dent in it. And that will be fine too.

Close Combat doesn't happen often,
but when it does, it's brutal!
With video games, there’s not much new happening this week. I’ve been playing Necromunda: Underhive Wars, reaching the part in the story campaign where the three factions make an uneasy alliance to reach their goal. I’ve got a fairly shrewd idea on how that’s going to work out for them, given that their alliance is about as stable as, well, the UK Conservative Government. It will be interesting to see how the story ends, I’m not too far away from it now – but as the missions take anything up to an hour and a half to beat, and that’s if you manage it first time, I need to make sure I’m giving myself enough time when I sit down to play. Even after all that, I’ve still got to go through the warband mode, which is the next step!

Struggled to find a screenshot of the
underwater levels from the PS4 version...
Time management is an easier task with Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage. I’m about halfway through the game now, having 100%ed at least half the levels on the Autumn Plains. It’s an absolutely beautiful game and is always a joy to play, and I’m enjoying the gimmicks and minigames that occur on almost every level which break up the gameplay quite nicely. I’m aiming for 100% completion for this one – none of the achievement trophies are tied up in multiplayer modes, so I could potentially manage it – so I feel absolutely no shame whatsoever in looking up how to do certain of the puzzles, which isn’t always obvious. Plus, it’s a great game to play when Kirsty and Jessie are around. Jessie likes the fact that Spyro can swim in this iteration of the game and loves playing around in the water on the Summer Forest level!

No comments:

Post a Comment