Monday 28 March 2011

27/3/11: Space Hulk + New Gretchin

Hello! With barely a week gone by since my last ignomious draw at Space Hulk, the time seemed ripe for another go at Suicide Mission. Little did I realise how badly it would all go for me when it was my turn to play as the Space Marines...

As you may remember from the last blog, I had the idea of 'running it up the middle,' as it were, instead of giving the Genestealers time to build up an attack. So I organised the Terminators accordingly and charged up to the bottleneck, guns-a-blazing (to get rid of the doors which would have cost another action point to open) and tried to get to the crossroads at the top of the map to turn towards the objective. I didn't get that far. In my haste to move the Terminators up there as quickly as possible, I'd made some very careless moves, and while I didn't leave myself wide open to an attack as I usually do, I did make Dave's job a lot easier by allowing his genestealers very quick access to my Terminators. Fair play to the guys who managed to beat off the 'Stealers in combat for maybe a turn, but they never had a chance, and neither did Brother Zael. It was all over by the third turn. In any other mission I guess I could be forgiven for that but you don't need 3 minutes to move 5 Terminators, however slow they are; I'd have made a much better job of it had I taken the time to think about where his Genestealers were going to be in the coming turn...

Dave's run as the Space Marines didn't deviate much from the usual, except that this time he decided to cement his hold on the bottom room completely and use the Lurker rule to block the entry point from the bottom. Fair play to Brother Denio, who we've re-named Clint, for making several accurate overwatch shots at an impossible distance, but as so often happens when Dave plays the Terminators it becomes a bloody stalemate until the nids can break through, and in an ill-advised attempt to flame some of them, Dave ended up flaming the whole room and killing Zael and the only other Terminator he had left.

So, another draw, and a new determination to get revenge the next time we play. One day Dave. One day...

In other news I finally finished painting some Gretchin last week, and here they are:

That was the best picture I got of them, I have an unfortunate habit of jerking my hand when I press the shutter on my camera so it almost always looks blurry but hey. Gone for a similar look to the Orks, which makes sense as they're in the same army, with using all the parts with things on their head that I can paint yellow. I think they came out quite well; not my best but hey, they're only Gretchin. So... which one have I converted, and what was the part that I used? Answers on a postcard please, or comment the blog. Actually, commenting would be better.

Up to Workshop in a bit so there may be another one of these blogs later, let's hope it's a win! I've been keeping track of my gaming wins/losses (except for Yu-Gi-Oh, which I'm so bad at I don't count it) and I've got a few more losses than wins so I need to turn that around. Space Hulk's not helping in that respect! It's adding to my ever-growing number of draws...

No comments:

Post a Comment