Wednesday 2 March 2011

First Orks!

For the first time in the 12 years (almost to the day!) that I've been involved with Games Workshop, I've actually painted a squad of Orks up properly. Here's how they look:
Granted I could have managed without the flash, but for some reason the other two pictures that I took without the flash were more blurry than a Puddle of Mudd song.

So what drove me to do Orks? 2 things really - First, it's one of Dave's ideas to do an apocalypes army with his Orks, and while he'd have happily allied with my Chaos, I wanted to have a go at a new army so I got some Orks on the go. Second, I'm a little bit really obsessed with the Dynasty Warriors games, and wanted to do an army based on the Yellow Turbans...

So that explains the paint scheme. Yellow. Basically I want everything in my army to have something on their head that is yellow, and have the rest of the clothes yellow as well. To this end, I chose only the Orks that were either wearing something on their heads that I could paint yellow, or a topknot, the actual knot of which I would paint yellow. How I'm going to manage this with the Weirdboy who I want to lead them I don't know, but one thing at a time.

So how is this army going to represent the Yellow Turbans? Well, from the way they were portrayed in the Dynasty Warriors/Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, they had to be negatively portrayed (Bad guys,) there needed to be thousands of them but with some sort of sentient intelligence (Orks,) high levels of psychic ability (the army will be lead by Weirdboyz,) low level of technology (infantry-based with nothing more advanced than lootas, meks and possibly Stormboyz) and a general low level of talent spread across the army (none of the units of Orks will be lead by Nobz.)

All in all I'm quite pleased with the way they turned out, not least because Stevie T's suggestion of Denheb Stone around the outside of the base seems to have worked really well.

Gretchin coming up, watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment