Thursday 6 June 2019

Last Week's Games: Kingdoms of Amalur, Spiderman, UK Games Expo


I’ve been surprisingly busy over the last few weeks, and for this reason I haven’t managed to get a blog out in a while. Today’s post covers roughly three weeks.
Feyblades. That Ettin had better watch out!
I had a go on the Xbox 360 with a game I hadn’t played for a long time: Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning. This is a Role Playing Game set in a somewhat typical fantasy setting, where your player character has died. They are brought back to life, and they now have to discover the mystery of how that happened and the extent of their power – to interfere with people’s fates. It is a good game with a strong combat system, with some bugs and uninspired enemy design, and I enjoy coming back to it every now and then. There’s a lot to do, though, and like many RPGs I wonder if I will ever see it through to the end!
This is a fun costume to unlock!
I’ve also played Spiderman on the PlayStation 4. This was a fairly recent purchase for me, bought with some saved-up Nectar Points from Sainsburys, and will probably be the most up-to-date game I buy for a long while! Now, I have fond memories of Spiderman 2 on the PS2, and from what I understand, no Spiderman game has surpassed it yet. However, this iteration of the game has done a pretty good job so far, with an improved combat system and voice acting. It includes a lot of features included in modern open world games, such as skill progression trees and side activities to do alongside the main campaign. Where Spiderman trumps almost all other open world games is that getting around is an absolute joy. Swinging through New York is a crucial element to any Spiderman game, and once you get used to how it is implemented in this version, you can cover vast distances and pull all sorts of tricks and stunts to keep the movement flowing and rapid. Almost all of the missions involve doing this to a certain extent, but because it is so much fun to swing around New York, it rarely feels like pointless busy work. I’m a little over 60% of the way through it so far, and this is one of the very few games I feel I have a hope of 100% completing, so I’m going for that.
You’ll remember last month I made some remarks about doing some videos for Youtube. I’m now putting those plans into fruition, since XSplit Gamecaster seems to be a lot friendlier on the file size when recording these videos! At the moment I’m capable of recording some raw footage with microphone commentary. Due to work and family commitments and lack of video editing software I wouldn’t suggest expecting anything substantial yet, but I’m working on a few scripts and concepts that I’m hoping to bring to life in the short-term future.
Also last weekend I went to the UK Games Expo. Some of you may remember from last year that this is very much a highlight of my year, and this year was the best one yet. I played loads of games, made some new friends and generally had a great time. It is my intention to write about what I got up to there but I’m going to divide my coverage of it into three categories:
Tournaments and Tribulations: A brief return for the series I intended to start last year, where I talk about the games I played as part of tournaments and how I got on.
First Impressions: My friend Tom and I participated in several demo games across the Expo, so I’ll write about what we thought of each one. Some of these are still in the final stages of development and have not been released yet.
Games We Played: On the Saturday Night we met up with some folks I’d never met before and played a whole load of games I’d not had the chance to play for a long time, if ever. This will be similar in format to the first impressions with the added fact that these games have already been published and released.
That’s a lot of writing to do, I hope I have time!

No comments:

Post a Comment