Monday 10 June 2019

Last Week's Games: Warcraft and Spider Man


I haven’t had time to play a huge number of games this week, but it will make writing about the ones I have played a little more straightforward:
I bought, downloaded and played the original Warcraft on my laptop. This was a game I’d owned in my youth; I’m old enough to remember a time before the massive entity World of Warcraft eventually became, and the first three Warcraft games were real-time strategy titles. This particular genre of games had something of a “Golden Age” in the mid-late 90s, and along with Dune 2, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was one of the first games to really make the genre popular.
Neither game aged particularly well, though. The graphics were OK for the time but look hideous now, and the interface, while functional, was handled much better in later strategy titles. The main aspect that later games developed out of was group-selecting. In Dune 2, you couldn’t do it at all, and in Warcraft, you can only do it by holding the shift key as you select up to four of your units – and as there is no way to keep them in the group you have to do this every time you want to select them. As you can imagine, this is a massive faff!
Not quite sure how those numbers at the top work,
but whatever, we'll run with it.
With that being said, I’ve really enjoyed the game so far. I’ve been playing as the Orcs for my play through, and once the first two levels have taught you the principle game mechanics, it lets you on your own to tackle the missions as you see fit. As resources are finite, a war of attrition is a very dangerous game indeed, and it is up to you to find different strategies to beat the level, often employing advantages in the map. On the third mission, for example, the key points of the map are the two bridges – if you can put a strong enough force on both bridges, you’ll buy yourself enough time to build up a big enough army to attack the Humans. On the fifth mission, the Humans have access to more powerful units, and once I’d secured the bridge on to the Human side of the island, I found it most effective to attack their peasants to stop them getting any money – therefore removing their option to build their heavier units.
I also really enjoyed the fourth mission where you have to take a small force through a dungeon full of Ogres and Slime to assassinate the Orc Commander’s daughter. I used to hate missions like these because I didn’t like not having the option to build more units. Now that I’m a bit older and I’ve played more games, ‘how do I win this’ becomes a very different question when you’ve got more limited options, and I had a lot more fun utilising the options available to me. Once I’d dealt with the horde of slime monsters, I had a good time drawing the ogres out with my Raiders into a wall of spears thrown by my Spearmen, with a couple of Grunts to finish them of if I needed to. I guess I like going back to the core experience of video games, to see what they had to offer!
Does whatever a Spider can, I've heard...
I’ve been playing Marvel’s Spiderman on the PS4 when I’ve found the time; I’m doing quite well now. However, I hope it isn’t necessary to earn gold on all of the Taskmaster’s challenges in order to 100% the game! The bomb and drone missions in particular are very challenging indeed, although I managed the stealth missions easily enough.
I’m about 80% of the way through the game now, and while the principle villains of the game are pretty obvious from the start, the story aspects are handled very well. There have been many interpretations of how Spiderman’s rogue’s gallery got to be the way they are, and without wishing to spoil, it was a refreshing change to see some of them become the super-villains as a slow descent into madness rather than one specific incident that happens at the start of most of the films. It is a far richer story as a result!
See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment