Wednesday 29 January 2020

Last Week's Games: Lumo, Planescape Torment, Assassin's Creed 2, Tekken 6


I’ve not been in the best of health this week; nothing worse than a cold but it’s knocked me about!
I like being able to change the colour of the character...
I’ve played some more of Lumo on the Nintendo Switch; the puzzling nature of the game makes it better enjoyed in short bursts, but I’ve been having fun with it. Collecting all the rubber ducks continues to be a challenge, but it became a lot easier once I’d gone online and found that you can hold down the jump button to jump as soon as you land. This isn’t usual for platform games but is a welcome addition here! There are other elements to the game too; a minecart level, and I’ve reached a rather odd section where you have a space-shooter mini-game, of all things – an odd addition to an already very surreal game, and I’m hoping it will all make sense by the time I get to the end! I’ve also found some measure of combat in the game, though currently this amounts to nothing more than shining a light on your wand and scaring spiders away.
The starting room. Grim.
On advice from my sister I gave Planescape Torment another go. I say another go, but it’s been nearly two decades since the last time, when I owned it on CD-ROM! This is a computer RPG in a similar style to Baldur’s gate, except that the setting for this is Sigil, the City of Doors – and is quite frankly bizarre. You play as The Nameless One, a human-like being of some considerable power but not much in the way of memories, as you journey through a morgue trying to find out who and what you are. This is about as much as I’ve been able to discern so far, both from the time I’ve spent playing it and what I can remember from playing the game all that time ago! It is a complex plot and a very involving game, and like many RPGs I will be surprised if I manage to see it through to the end, but I’ve enjoyed my time with it so far and I hope I continue to do so.
Managed to pull this move off the other day...
I continued my game of Assassin’s Creed 2, guiding Ezio through a few speed and assassination challenges. Assassin’s Creed games can very often feel like busy-work, and this is no exception, but I enjoy what I can in short bursts and progress through the game a bit at a time. That way, I enjoy what time I put into it – even if it isn’t very much! I particularly enjoyed the mission where I had to assassinate four guards without using my weapons. Three of them were easy – they were on top of buildings, I just had to push them off – but the fourth was on the ground level, and the way I had to beat them was to hire a group of mercenaries to do it for me. This may seem counter-intuitive because on the surface it seems like you’re paying a certain amount of in-game money for the game to be played for you, but it got more interesting once some of the other guards started to interfere – at that point, I could join in the fight, as I was allowed to kill the guards that weren’t my targets!
Boom!
Finally, Kirsty and I played Tekken 6 on the Xbox 360. Tekken has always been a good set of games and I’ve enjoyed each one I’ve played, whether in the arcade or on various iterations of the PlayStation. I downloaded this version off Games with Gold, and we had a fine time experimenting with the different characters, finding out who we liked and who we didn’t. I used the random generator to pick a different character each time, whereas Kirsty likes who she likes and tended to go for Panda, Jack and Eddy. Eddy is probably the best character in the game for button-mashing, and Kirsty has a track record of winning with the bigger lads by spamming a low kick attack. We played 11 matches and Kirsty won 6 of them; some of them were close calls! It’s a pretty good game, and I’m looking forward to getting more deeply in to it later on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment