Monday 17 February 2020

Last Week's Games: Misty, Doom and Age of Empires


Last Friday we had Valentine’s day. Kirsty very kindly bought me a game we’d seen reviewed and talked about in Tabletop Gaming magazine and found intriguing: Misty.
Incidentally, I don't recommend
searching for Misty Game with
Google Safe Search turned off..
Misty is a simple card game that uses a couple of nice conceits and mechanics to make an engaging, if brief experience. The idea is that you’re drawing doodles on a steamed-up window in the middle of a storm, and once you have twelve, the doodles come to life and start moving about. Each player picks one card from a hand of six, reveals it by putting it in a 4x3 “window,” then passes the remaining cards around to the next player. Once all the cards are gone, another six are drawn for each player, then the process is repeated except the cards are passed the other way around. Once all the players have a 4x3 window in place, the cards activate…
What the cards do depend on the card. Anything that can move – a bicycle, falling leaves, balloons etc – moves one space in the indicated direction. And if you have a flower and a monster, the monster will eat the flower. You then score points based on how many cards you have left on the window that can score. Any that have gone flying off the window are gone and won’t score any points. And if a card has moved on top of another card, you’ve lost them both. If the monster eats the flower, you’ve lost the points for the flower – but not the monster. And if you manage to get two smiley faces next to each other, that’s worth an extra point.
The strategy involves building your window and watching out for what the other players are doing. Have they got a lot of flowers? Probably worth sending them monsters. Are they playing a lot of movable cards? Send them some cards that can’t move, so that they will have to lose at least some points accommodating them. At the same time, you must build your own window as efficiently as you can – How can you stop your cards from overlapping each other? Will it really be so bad if the monster eats the flower?
It took Kirsty a while to get the hang of what was happening and I won the first game we played, however we both agreed that it’s a great little game with mechanics that are easy enough to understand and use. We’re looking forward to having another go with more players!
In Hell, they have trousers...
I also downloaded and played the Ultimate Doom on my laptop. I owned this game in 1998 and it is still good fun today. The reasons for this lie with a lot of the things I was saying about Wolfenstein 3D back in the summer – the level design is excellent, and the core gameplay loop is solid. Hardware may have been somewhat limited back in the early 90s, but they squeezed every ounce of playability they could out of that they had to work with.
After rebinding the keys with some finnicky DOS-based lists, (now that I’ve discovered WASD for movement, I’m not going back,) and snarling over the fact that for some reason you can’t bind Left Shift (would have been great for running!) I set the difficulty to Ultra Violent (4/5.) I have played through most of the game on the middle difficulty; that was on the Xbox version with a controller, and I’ve got better at FPS since then so I thought I’d give the increased difficulty a go. I was very glad I did, because the general effect of this was to increase the number of enemies present in the level, leading to some truly thrilling battles! I’ll come back to this every now and then.
This is the level I'll be playing next, funnily enough...
Finally, I carried on with the Greek campaign of Age of Empires. I’m enjoying it, but I got stuck on the mission where you need to attack the temple. Whatever I tried, I couldn’t get my units close enough without the enemy priests converting them! I eventually did it by being a bit more economical with my unit building and pounding the enemy from afar with the catapults – standard procedure for Age of Empires!

No comments:

Post a Comment