Monday 10 February 2020

Last Week's Games: Pathfinder, Age of Empires, Hey! That's My Fish, Sushi Go


The key to First Edition Pathfinder
is to attack something that isn't the
player character's hit points...
I’ll start this week by mentioning something I forgot to tell you about last week: Pathfinder. A weekg ago I ran Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords for my roleplaying group, and we had a really good time. We’re quite high-level now, I think they’re all at level 11 which is high for a game that in all other times I’ve played it had been wrapped up long before we got to this sort of tier. The group had a fine time defeating The Scribbler, who had in the previous section managed to turn some of the group on each other and using their abilities to circumnavigate certain areas of the dungeon. “Forbiddance” spell denying you access to a certain room? No problem – burrow underneath it by having your Druid turn into an Earth Elemental and have the whole thing collapse out of the affected area. They also managed to dispatch an Ancient White Dragon with relative ease, although that probably has more to do with Ian’s Alchemist’s ability to fly onto his back and drop bombs on the dragon from above. There’s still a long way to go before we get to the end of this, but the other lads seem determined to see it through to the end! 

Not managed anything this huge yet...
I also had a go with a game that I downloaded on Chirstmas Day, according to my Steam records: Age of Empires. I owned this game a long time ago, but it appears to have been updated to run on modern computers and was a pleasure to play again. It’s a real-time strategy game that focuses on the pre-industrial eras of civilization, where society starts of as hunter-gatherers and ends up with huge armies taking over the world, or at least the parts of Central Europe we were familiar with at that point. I’ve played up to the end of the Egyptian campaign, which is more of a tutorial than anything else that introduces you to the game mechanics and win conditions. It’s been a great ride so far; I’ve enjoyed building up my armies, figuring out what I need to do to win and making the right moves at the right time – even if that generally involves turning it into a war of attrition, and waiting for the enemies to use up all of their resources before making my move! I usually enjoy strategy games and this one is no exception.
I also managed to play a couple of games with Kirsty: The first was our old favourite, Hey! That’s My Fish, where we battled our penguins for control of as many fish as possible. Known for its brutal simplicity and surprisingly competitive mechanics, we’re starting to get our heads around this game as we’re constantly watching each other’s penguins and our own, judging what would be the best move to make. I won, but it was close this time with only about five points in it!
A pleasure to play
after all this time!
The other game was a game I’d owned for a while and hadn’t got around to playing, which was Sushi Go. I bought this game for the third time at the UK Games Expo in 2017. The first time, I’d bought the game off Ebay – but it only had the cards, not the instructions, and I didn’t know how to play it at that point, so that was no use. The second time, I’d ordered it from Amazon, and when it arrived it turned out to be printed in Polish and Czech; I can read neither. I found it for sale with one of the stall holders at the Expo, who told me that this wasn’t uncommon; the bar code is the same whatever language it is printed in and the guys picking the list aren’t too careful about what they’re picking and for who! It is a “pick and pass” card game that’s supposed to represent a conveyer belt of sushi, where you pick the best card from the ones you’re given and pass the remaining cards around. With two players, it’s an interesting challenge, since you’ve got a decent idea of what will be coming when you pass the cards – it’s easier to plan a strategy! A fun game, in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment