Monday 16 March 2020

Last Week's Games: Pandemic, Pathfinder, Doom and Mordheim


I managed to make quite a bit of time for playing games this week! Unusually, I’m going to talk about the Hobby games first…
Let the madness begin...
A little on the nose, given what’s happening in the world right now (If you’re reading this after the fact, the world is currently in a state of confusion and panic over the Covid-19 virus) but Kirsty and I had a go with Pandemic over the weekend. Some people like this game more than others but when I’ve played it, I’ve enjoyed it. We certainly had a good time stamping out the diseases across the map – Kirsty was fortunate enough to choose the Medic, who could take out all the disease cubes on one section and is very good to have early in the game. We certainly made more use out of that than my ability – I’d drawn the Contingency Planner, who can pull an event card from the discard pile and use it again later. We beat the game, though on reflection we got some of the rules wrong. I’d forgotten that we were supposed to infect the cities after drawing an Epidemic card, and that we were only supposed to swap cards if we were in the city of the cards we were swapping. The latter, at least, would definitely have made a difference to the outcome of the game! We enjoyed it, nonetheless, and we’ll have another go soon.
Also, over the weekend, I continued with Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords. Currently they are trekking through the Vaults of Greed, and it was very satisfying to give them a dragon hoard to distribute, and to flatten one of my players with a trap – especially as he plays the kind of impulsive character that would be susceptible to triggering them! He was a little more cautious from then on. I then had a laugh with the Mephits, who seemed more at home playing in the bath than causing a threat, but I have a feeling the group enjoyed it a lot more than trying to fight them. We’re all still enjoying it but there is talk of pausing the campaign for a while and letting someone else have a go at running another game; we’ll see how that goes. I like running games, but I’ve not been able to play for a while!
I finally beat the Deimos Lab on Doom and I’m now at the Control centre. This is an interesting map, and I’m enjoying it, but the difficulty is bogging me down and I’m finding it hard to make any significant amount of progress. But Doom is the kind of game I can come back to whenever I like; the plot is very straightforward, and I don’t need to worry too much about remembering important points!
From humble beginnings...
Also, I made some progress with Mordheim: City of the Damned. With enough confidence in my Mercenary warband to tackle the fourth campaign mission on the bridge, I gave it a go and beat it quite easily (to be fair, my warband is vastly over-levelled now!) None of my men were put out of action, which is quite rare as even on my best day at least one of them usually drops. This is now the most progress I’ve ever made in the game; I came close with the Sisters of Sigmar but gave up after the fourth mission bugged out. It appears that I’m now in the second half of the game, so we’ll see how that goes. I had a go with another of the regular missions, but hubris got the better of me and some of my men ended up dropping to a rival Mercenary warband – usually the easiest faction to deal with.
Finally, I was pleased to be able to have some time in both Phoenix Games in Stourbridge and Warlords and Wizards in Netherton at different points in the week to paint a fresh squad of Chaos Space Marine Raptors. I haven’t quite finished them yet – got some finishing touches to put on their champion – but they’re looking alright, if somewhat different to the box art! I’m also carrying a small number of World Bearers around in hope of a game…

No comments:

Post a Comment