Monday 2 April 2018

Last Week's Games: Heroquest, GTA: Vice City, Chaos Space Marines


Hmm, naming the Wizard Gandalf...
It’s been something of a quiet week for me on the games front. Early on in the week I had another go with Heroquest, and played the first two missions again with the Barbarian before dying on the third. This was, in part, due to not knowing about certain of the game’s mid-long term facets: Your health (body points) carries over between missions, but any healing potions you pick up do not. So I didn’t heal my character before the second mission ended, meaning he was going into the next level under-powered and with no means of healing himself. By the time I realised this I had a run of bad luck with some of the encounters and died in a battle I hadn’t got a hope of winning. Disheartened, I moved on.
On Friday I went in to Get Gaming in Lower Gornal to see if they had any Xbox 360 games I wanted. As it happens they did, but not enough to make up an offer so I left it alone. I also had a look at the PSP, as they have a system and some games in, including the two Grand Theft Auto games: Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. I thought about buying the system and the games, but then I remembered that I already own three games in the GTA3 canon, and so far have only beaten the first. I’d like to own a PSP and even a PSVita, but when my chief motivation for buying one is currently open-world games in a series of which I haven’t even played through the previous games, it didn’t seem such a good idea.
A big part of this game was the Florida Haze...
So I checked out the 360 back-compatible list, found the GTA3 games on there, dug my old games out and had a go at Vice City. I had somehow forgotten how rough the handling was in those early GTA games! But it was a fun experience nonetheless, and now that I’m more familiar with slang terms for certain demographics (Guido’s, for example,) I can enjoy some of the cut scenes more now I know what in the world they’re talking about! As we’re still in the point where there were secrets in the form of hidden packages, rampages and insane stunts, I’m trying to alternate between doing the missions and at least one of the extras. I’ll never 100% it – but I’ll get what I can out of it!
I also visited Warlords 'n' Wizards for the first time in a while and bought a Necromunda gang, the Orlocks. I added it to my ever-growing pile of models I have yet to build, and decided to make a start on some of them. I’ve had a box of Chaos Space Marines lying around for a while that I think I originally intended to convert to Thousand Sons, but now that Word Bearers are my flagship Chaos army, I fully intend to paint them in those colours. As I’ve had the box for a long time, they’re still on small bases, but I’m not going to worry about that or they’ll never get built!
I built five of them including the heavy bolter and sprayed them black. One of the things I find when I’m painting armies is that as the bulk of it is made up of rank-and-file models, it’s easier for me to stay engaged if I paint five at a time, before moving on to a different model. Ten at a time would get them done more quickly but I get fed up painting the same model over and over again; with five it’s easier to see the progress I’m making. I paint very slowly anyway, and I’d rather make small and regular progress rather than get fed up and paint nothing for weeks, which very often happens! I didn’t get any further than the undercoat due to time constraints, but with a couple of weeks off work I’m hoping to make some progress with them.
And so we move on into the next week, where, for the first time since I’ve been doing this blog regularly, I’ve had a request to cover a game. We’ll see what happens with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment