Monday 9 April 2018

Last Week's Games: Pokemon Leaf Grean, Assassin's Creed 2, Painting Chaos Space Marines


What might lurk in the grass? Rattata probably.
So I had a request to play a game! I’d never got one before and I was quite excited to do it. Katie, someone I know from the open mic circuit, asked me to cover a Pokémon game, and I remembered I had Leaf Green on my Game Boy Advance so I was happy to oblige! I hadn’t played it or any Pokémon game for a long time, though I remembered it being basically being the same game as the original Pokémon games released in 1999. (I don’t remember anybody talking about it before then – and people talked about it a lot at school!) I enjoyed what I’ve played of it so far; I named my player character Katie after the girl who asked me to cover it, and the rival Boris because he keeps appearing to mess everything up, rather like our current Foreign Minister, Boris Johnson. I didn’t get very far because I started with Charmander, which is all but useless for the first two Pokémon gyms so I had to do some grinding with my other Pokémon to beat Brock. I’m currently at Moon Mountain, and I intend to keep playing! But I’m not going to go for 100% completion. Even if I could be bothered, the chances that I’ll find someone with a GBA and a copy of Fire Red to trade the necessary Pokémon with are slim indeed. 
 

Ezio before he becomes an assassin...
My new game for this week was Assassin’s Creed 2. You’ll remember from my previous blogs I enjoyed Assassin’s Creed when I played it last year, and I found I was missing large open worlds with things to discover and do so I gave the next one a go. It’s a good game; I haven’t noticed much difference between it and the first game yet in terms of how it plays but the Assassin’s Creed 2 seems a lot more invested in its own plot than the previous game was, which is making for a far more compelling experience. I’m a couple of hours in to the game and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes next!
And my new game for last week – I did play one, but I forgot to put it on the blog – was Dynamite Heddy from the Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection. This is an oddball platformer typical of the time, where you controlled a little puppet that could attack by throwing its head in different directions. It’s competently-designed, and fun enough, but I don’t have much interest in coming back to it simply because I’m not all that invested. If it had been a game I’d been playing since I was nine, it would be another matter, but having just picked up the game at thirty-two, I couldn’t honestly say it held my interest.
They grow ever more numerous...
Finally, in the space of about a week, I built and painted five Chaos Space Marines in Word Bearers colours. I was tidying around in my room in preparation for having new windows installed, and found a box of Chaos Space Marines I’d had for years but hadn’t built (it was my original intention to build them as Thousand Sons.) I enjoyed painting them, and the vast majority of that was done in Warlords and Wizards in Netherton where I had some great company as well! I’ll never be allowed to use them in a tournament because the bases are the wrong size (the rank and file of the current edition of 40K uses slightly bigger bases than previously, and unlike Age of Sigmar, 40K measures from the base rather than the model,) but I’m not bothered by that. I’m no tournament player, and I’d rather they were built and used than never touched again because someone was being funny about their base sizes!
I’ve built and sprayed some more models that I’m hoping to paint next week. I’ve also re-found the fun in micro-managing army lists, and I’ve found that I can fit two squads of Chaos Cultists into a 500pt army, so that’s where I’m going next. I’ve got an old box of cultists that I never touched, so I’ve built them now and I’ll try paint scheme that fits in with the Word Bearers!

No comments:

Post a Comment