Wednesday 2 December 2020

Last Month's Painting: Lost Patrol

For this November I’ve being trying to paint the entirety of the Lost Patrol boxed set. As one of Games Workshop’s smaller releases, this wasn’t a huge task and I managed to successfully paint the entire set in slightly less than a month.

Not that many models, but for me, that's
pretty good going for a month.
Lost Patrol was a game released a few years ago as part of Games Workshop’s seemingly endless slew of board games based on its properties it was putting out at the time, and like the slightly-too-obsessed collector that I am, I had to have them all. Some were better quality than others, and from what I understand the actual game isn’t one of Games Workshop’s better efforts. Like Space Hulk before it, it was once again a small group of Space Marines vs a much larger swarm of Genestealers, trying to find the macguffin before they all die, though in this game they are Scouts rather than Terminators. Unlike Space Hulk, however, there were no new models designed for it – they were all currently-existing models. The game used a very simple rule set aimed at younger players, a noble idea, but it had the effect of stacking the game quite heavily in favour of the Genestealer player. And even though there are a huge number of ways the map can be arranged, there is only one scenario which limits its long-term appeal. The latter two are things I’ve heard, by the way. I haven’t actually played the game yet.

The Scouts were a lot of fun...
But we’re here to talk about the painting rather than the quality of the game, and here I faced some… not necessarily new challenges but re-visiting some old ones. I have, of course, been painting Space Marines for pretty much the entire time I’ve been invested in the hobby, even if most of them were Chaos. Tyranids have been less frequent though regular readers will recognise the aesthetic at least from the Space Hulk set. The only time I’ve ever done Space Marine Scouts before, though, was  nearly 10 years ago where I had the idea of building a scout army to represent the rebuilding of the Black Consuls chapter, and I’ve painted Human faces intermittently since then (I tend to prefer helmets.) I didn’t do a terrible job but my lack of experience with painting faces shows, I think – some of those eyes are very sloppy indeed! If painting is a skill I’m looking to develop, I might consider doing an army with exposed faces to give me a little more practice! Elsewhere, the Scouts were painted in Blood Angels colours, which was nothing new to me since I’d painted the Space Hulk set in the same way and my Word Bearer army is roughly the same colour with different trimmings.

And painting Genestealers this way is a
quick and effective paint scheme.
The Genestealers were interesting. As presented on the box art and the photographs on the back, they appear to be a splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Kraken; largely a bony white colour with red claws. With Hive Fleet Kraken, the carapace would usually be red, and the flesh would be more of a sepia-colour, but this way gave them a more skeletal appearance that would be terrifying in large numbers. After watching a video guide on Youtube and buying a red wash, I was struck by how little time it took to get an effective-looking set of models – to game standard, at least; I wouldn’t expect to win any painting competitions with this – and decided that if I ever chose to paint a Tyranid army in any significant numbers, this is how I’d do it. I’m pleased with the overall result, and I’m glad I now have an idea of what a large Tyranid army might look like for me, should it become an option to paint one.

I think what’s great about these boxed sets is that it gives you the opportunity to try painting models you wouldn’t normally paint. I wouldn’t normally choose to paint Tryanids but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed painting the Genestealers from Space Hulk and Lost Patrol – and expanding my horizons on where I can take my painting can only be a good thing. I’m not short of them but don’t know what the next one will be yet, we shall see…

No comments:

Post a Comment